Suggest an Open Back Headphone!
Apr 1, 2016 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KSIXephos938

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Been recently looking for a new pair of open back headphones, never owned any before so am open to suggestions.

The current setup I'm most likely going to use them with is a FiiO E07K DAC hooked up to my laptop.

I've been leaning towards the;
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm
- AKG K702
- Audio Technica ATH-R70x

I don't have the ability to audition them so I have no clue how each of them sound.

My sonic tastes lean towards the Sennheiser sound, owning the IE80 IEM's which I love and loving the few times I listened to the HD800's in stores. (Though who wouldn't :p) I also have the ATH-M50's which sound anemic to me, detail is the only positive I can find compared to my IE80's.

I'm currently looking at the 3 headphones mentioned above, but am open to suggestions if they are in the similar price bracket. ($250-$400)

Cheers for your help! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 11
HD600--neutral, balanced, detailed, not a gigantic soundstage, somewhat laid back. Vocals are breathtaking. Bass articulate but on lighter side of the ledger. Supremely enjoyable.

HE400S--midrange-forward, good detail, large soundstage with very good imaging. Vocals also breathtaking. Bass slightly on lighter side of things and treble slightly rolled off. Also very enjoyable.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
I'll mainly be using these headphones for gaming/movies/YouTube so I'm looking for something with a fairly wide soundstage, clean vocals while also being warm and easy to listen to.

Are there any headphones that fit the bill?

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Beyerdynamic 990 pro 250 ohm

Edit: Didn't see you want warm sound. HD598 then.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Hmmm, the HE400S's are a bit too expensive in the country I live in, and I'm not particularly enthused about the colour way of the HD598's. (as picky as that sounds)

The DT990 Pro's have always been my first choice, how harsh are the highs?

Also, my amp is a FiiO E07K so not the best amp in the world. Would it be able to drive the headphones mentioned so far?

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Hmmm, the HE400S's are a bit too expensive in the country I live in, and I'm not particularly enthused about the colour way of the HD598's. (as picky as that sounds)

The DT990 Pro's have always been my first choice, how harsh are the highs?

Also, my amp is a FiiO E07K so not the best amp in the world. Would it be able to drive the headphones mentioned so far?

Use some eq, and you won't have a problem with the harsh highs. If you care about the looks so much, get V MODA.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Not really picky about the design but more about the colour. My entire desk are shades of black so a cream pair of headphones would really stick out.

But I did find out that Sennehiser released a SE edition which is all black, so I've narrowed down to either the DT990's or the HD598's.

Which would you suggest?

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 11
  Not really picky about the design but more about the colour. My entire desk are shades of black so a cream pair of headphones would really stick out.

But I did find out that Sennehiser released a SE edition which is all black, so I've narrowed down to either the DT990's or the HD598's.

Which would you suggest?

HD598 SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back