Suggest an iPod Line Out Dock Please!
Sep 13, 2007 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cooldude1015

Head-Fier
Hi Guys!

So today I called Ray Samuels himself and I successfully proved to myself how much of a novice audiophile I am. lol

Anyways, out of that phone call I discovered that I needed to buy a iPod Line Out cable! Woohoo!

So far, however, I have only heard of ALO. Seeing as their cables are $50+ are there any other options? I'm willing to spend that much (I'm currently seriously considering the cryo dock) but I'd like to know of some more options and possibly some better bang-for-the-buck cables?!?!?
biggrin.gif

I have a (non-iMod) iPod, RSA Tomahawk, and Shure SE530s. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys!

So today I called Ray Samuels himself and I successfully proved to myself how much of a novice audiophile I am. lol

Anyways, out of that phone call I discovered that I needed to buy a iPod Line Out cable! Woohoo!

So far, however, I have only heard of ALO. Seeing as their cables are $50+ are there any other options? I'm willing to spend that much (I'm currently seriously considering the cryo dock) but I'd like to know of some more options and possibly some better bang-for-the-buck cables?!?!?
biggrin.gif

I have a (non-iMod) iPod, RSA Tomahawk, and Shure SE530s. Thanks!

Things change all the time, but my experience has been with only two brands. Qables and ALO. The Qables cable was very well constructed and sounded very good. I could live with it for a long, long time. Compared to some of the ALO models, it didn't sound quite as full to my ears. But we're talking maybe 5% difference here. The ALO cotton silver dock is the best I've heard with the cryo dock coming in at a very, very, very close second.

The advantage of the cryo dock is that it is far more robust than the silver/cotton dock. The cryo dock should be near indestructible. The silver dock is kind of fragile. The Qable dock somewhere in between.

Both vendors are Head-Fi sponsors.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that's going to be significantly bulkier than a simple LOD cable.

Hi, you can use right angle 3.5mm jack. It is very easy to change different cable, but the LOD cable only ipod use, you can't use to other portable audio player (e.g.: discman, MD).

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make it yourself?

cheap and you gain knowledge!

not cheaper if you have never done it before... especially if you need to buy an iron!

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 12
I would also check out head-direct.com. They have a couple of options. I have their 50 buck dock and verymuch like the build quality and sound. They also have a 35 dollar choice that looks good. Service was top rate. Good luck.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 12
I know that it is surprising that a little bit of wire and a connector could cost so much. But I assure you that with a high quality dock the difference is not subtle. It is as much as with a component upgrade. I just never realized how much a good source or amp could have its signal polluted by cheap wiring. A little experimentation quickly validated the worth of good Interconnects. Ken at ALO does exquisite work.

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make it yourself?

cheap and you gain knowledge!

haha! I like the confidence but I seriously doubt I could make such a high quality cable. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back