Suggest a second headphone (besides my hd25)
Mar 6, 2007 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Joeriii

New Head-Fier
Hello Headfiers !

I lost my old password and e-mailadress, so I made a new account. A few years ago some people here suggested that I buy a Sennheiser HD25 for my iPod. I love it ! Eventhough it's the most expensive headphone I've ever bought, I've never regretted it for a second.

There is one little problem with the HD25, and that is that it has a small soundstage. I've recently rediscovered all my old heavy metal cd's, and I'm getting into classical music ( yes I realise that sounds contradictory ), and It just doesn't sound right. Sqaushed together.

So I'm seriousy considering buying a second pair of headphones. I'm looking for one that has a bigger soundstage, and one that allso works great on an iPod. ( it has to have great bass like my hd25, to counter the iPods weakness ) I want headphones that don't leak much sounds, because I listen to loud music in public. I've got $300 of poker money to spend.

I hope you guys can give me some sugestions, because, frankly, I'm to lazy to read tons of reviews and I don't know enough audiobabble to make a great discision.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Is size an issue? I mean, are you willing to wear fullsize headphones in public? Soundstage is partially a result of drivers distance from ear. If yes, there are some options that I can think of ATM, with good bass and some isolation:

Ultrasone Proline 650 (Dont know how it fares in classical overall, but soundstage should be more than enough)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm version (not ideal for classical cuz of humped up highs and bass, but again soundstage should be good)

Compromises...

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't care about the size, or how it looks on me. I'm gonna look rediculous anyway, in these litle white earbuds - dominated days.

I am concerned however, with how "true" the sound is. The HD25 basically being monitor headphones, I don't want to get "fake" sounding music. Or is his impossible ? I realise there will be plenty of difference, I just don't want to compromise to much.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Availability of good closed headphones with good soundstage is rather small, but i'll write what I know and what info I have gathered. These are mostly 3rd hand information, so be warned.

Ultrasones are more liked in studio enviroments, so they really arent faking any sound. However, musicality might be concern. I have had my eyes on Proline 750 for a while now. It should be detailed to boot with great soundstage, bright sound with deeeep reaching bass. They have unorthodox driver placement, and they shoot the sound to your earlobes instead of your ear canal. More natural soundstage, but also placement on your head becomes more critical. Simply moving the headphone around alters the sound. However, they have been accused of having metallic wierd tone in the mids (which might be good for metal...
evil_smiley.gif
), but others have said it goes away when burning them in. Proline 650 is smoother and cheaper, but some say they are honky in mids. Compromises again. Isolation is average with both.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro has "V-style" sound, boosted bass and highs but recessed mids. Good isolation, but sound is mostly fitting for hiphop and likes.

Sony MDR-V6 / MDR-7506 (same headphone, different price). A studio standard in budget class. I dont know much about it nor nothing about its soundstage, but they should be bright and detailed, perhaps even cold and sharp.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Do not know ANYTHING about this one. But finding reviews and impressions of this shouldnt be hard.

Oh, and there isnt really a thing as "fake" sound. Different headphones fit in different ears. Headphones that might be equally detailed and accurate, might sound completely different due to its makers "house sound", the tone they favor.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I have HD-25 and I absolutely love them.

HD 280 is a larger but slightly inferior version of that phone IMHO. They are both professional grade monitoring phones. Though the HD25 would almost qualify as Audiophile/Hi-Fi.

If it has to be closed, try some of Audio-Technica's line. They pack a bit of punch for the buck. And even if you want to go ultra high end, they are still closed back so you get some isolation. W-5000's on the street will sure get you some strange looks.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, have you tried using an amp with the ipod?

OOOH YES.

iAudio -> Emmeline Hornet -> HD-25 = Sweet as a 16 year old's...

candybar.

get your mind out of the gutter~!
eggosmile.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 10
I love my Sony MDR-7506's with beyer DT250 pads. I have also looked into beyer DT880's, for great soundstage, sound and great frequency responce. But I also want to look into Senn HD25-1's . I have listend to them before and loved their sound, they sounded alot like my MDR-7506's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back