Suggest ~150 dollar IEMs for me please
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SirG

New Head-Fier
I thought I was going to order some new buds for myself as my Christmas present this year. Then when I found this forum I found myself reading for months, delaying my purchase for quite a long time. I tried to make an informed decision on reading this board alone because I didn't want to have to make one of these threads, but I ended up just being more confused with so many sound terms.

Here is a list of what I know I do want out of my IEMs:

-Foam tips seem like they isolate the best and more importantly would be the most comfortable. Other tips would be ok as long as they are nice and comfy.

-Music: I mostly like softer acoustic stuff like Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Eric Clapton. I also listen to metal, electronic, rap, blues and rock. But I would prefer the acoustic music to have priority in IEM choice over the others.

-Sound: I like clean even bass that is balanced in volume to the mids and highs of the music, though I am willing to sacrifice bass if it would make the whole rest of the spectrum sound better. I generally like a warmer sound.

-No preamp.

So thats it. If I left out any necessary information please ask and I will be checking back every hour and I will respond. Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 17
Probably get a lot of suggestions for Atrio M5/M8 (same product, different color). M5 is on back-order, M8 is available now.

I'd also throw in a suggestion for Westone UM1. Slightly cheaper, and one of my favorite IEMs of all time.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 17
or even the super.fi 5 pro's (non-EB), sonically the s.f 5's are better than the UM1. (but nothing will touch it for comfort and isolation other than the UM2's). BTW, UE foam tips aren't IMO - good. Their silicon tips work well enough, though there's nothing like the Comply's or Shure foam tips for the Westones, and they unfortunately don't work on the UE IEM's.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by brent75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably get a lot of suggestions for Atrio M5/M8 (same product, different color). M5 is on back-order, M8 is available now.

I'd also throw in a suggestion for Westone UM1. Slightly cheaper, and one of my favorite IEMs of all time.

I second the UM1s also. You'll like the tips on them too.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 17
etymotic er6is are great for acoustic and have great mids and highs, they do sound a bit "cold" or "neutral" however you wanna spin it
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's nothing like the Comply's or Shure foam tips for the Westones, and they unfortunately don't work on the UE IEM's.

There are the Comply T400's for the UE phones. Good to up the isolation and comfort but the UE's are all still large and stick out some.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 17
I just got the super.fi 5 pro, and love 'em. But when I put in my order, I was a little concerned over mixed opinions here regarding comfort and ease of getting/keeping a seal with the silicone tips. Now that I have been using them daily for a few weeks, I'm amazed that anyone finds fault with them. Once theyre in I forget theyre even there, and I found nirvana using the "large" tips, which seal up perfectly for me with a simple slip-it-in insertion. No fiddling. As for the sound, I do like them very much and I think theyre fantastic for a portable rig. My ATH-ES7 is much more forward with a lot of emphasis on mids, and much more revealing of hiss and crap ... but the 5 pros are much more friendly to the ears while still being sufficiently detailed in the high end. Maybe this is due to some roll-off in the extreme highs and the mids being a bit scooped, but I really don't care. If I'm out and about I'm not wanting analytical, I just want it to sound good.

Build quality and accessories are also top-notch. If you can find them at your price point (Headroom had'em for $154, but sold out), get 'em. (Well, if you have big earholes like I apparently do.)

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are the Comply T400's for the UE phones. Good to up the isolation and comfort but the UE's are all still large and stick out some.

Thank you very much for posting this... I didn't know.
smily_headphones1.gif
I use the reverse mod when I wear the s.f 5 pro's, and with the memory wire the fit is great. Small single flange tips work well for me - but nothing seems to be as comfortable as the UM1's or UM2's with the small Comply or Sure foam tips. I really appreciate the heads-up !!!

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 17
thanks for the replies

I ended up increasing my price range (im sure youve heard that before) and buying the q-jays. I cant wait for them to come
smily_headphones1.gif
i recently just lost my ipod though so im not sure what im going to do about that.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replies

I ended up increasing my price range (im sure youve heard that before) and buying the q-jays. I cant wait for them to come
smily_headphones1.gif
i recently just lost my ipod though so im not sure what im going to do about that.

That's odd, I don't recall anyone recommending the q-jays to you. Why would you ask for our (expert) advice, then choose a totally different model?

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 17
I heartily recommend Ety ER-4P. Granted S version is much better, but without an amp not every DAP is capable of driving them. You can always get P/S cable later.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 17
No no no... this isn't right. They weren't recommended to you. You're not allowed to think with your own brain (especially after asking for advice). We all put a lot of time into giving you our heartfelt recommendations. You have to cancel your order immediately - Or - you'll be forever banned from Head-Fi.
eek.gif

Just kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy your Q-Jays... hope you like 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back