Sugden HeadMaster
Jan 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kad

Head-Fier
I've been offered one of these for US660 shipped. Is this worth jumping on, or can I do much better with that money? DIY may be an option depending on how much I can put together a toolkit for. The HeadMaster looks like a winner but searching the archives responses to how it sounds have been very mixed.
Appreciate any feedback.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Get yourself some headphones that are great on detail and dynamics and are not warm. The AKG K-701 fits the bill, but it's not the only one. Stay away from the HD-650.

I listened to this amp again on Saturday and compared it with my BC SBH using K-701s. It did very well. Sugden products are all first-rate and all are very musical without being colored. This is NOt a high impact amp. If you are looking for a head amp that sounds like Dynaudo speakers (i.e., sounds good with banging garbage can lid type music) this is not the amp for you. It is detailed, refined, balanced and smooth, but with a nice dose of PRAT. It is Not forward. It is Not bright. It is Not rolled off on the trebble. It does Not have bass boost in the frequency response. It is an amp for a music-lover and it deserves a good source and headphones even at this price.

I do own a MAD Ear +, and I like it very much. But lately I have moved back more toward SS amps. due to their greater balance, better detail and lower distortion (at the loss of emotion). The MAD Ear+ is, however, another fine choice in the same rough price range and it is also quite neutral even though it's a tube amp.

One last thing, when you read a review, do understand that it reflects the user's sound preferences. These are usually not stated and may differ markedly from yours.

Here's the music I played with the Sugden and my SBH on Saturday, including parts of: Boxer, The National, Mahler's 5th Symphony, Black Sheep Boy, Okerville River, Transistor Radio, M Ward. All of them sounded great

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get yourself some headphones that are great on detail and dynamics and are not warm. The AKG K-701 fits the bill, but it's not the only one. Stay away from the HD-650.

I listened to this amp again on Saturday and compared it with my BC SBH using K-701s. It did very well. Sugden products are all first-rate and all are very musical without being colored. This is NOt a high impact amp. If you are looking for a head amp that sounds like Dynaudo speakers (i.e., sounds good with banging garbage can lid type music) this is not the amp for you. It is detailed, refined, balanced and smooth, but with a nice dose of PRAT. It is Not forward. It is Not bright. It is Not rolled off on the trebble. It does Not have bass boost in the frequency response. It is an amp for a music-lover and it deserves a good source and headphones even at this price.

I do own a MAD Ear +, and I like it very much. But lately I have moved back more toward SS amps. due to their greater balance, better detail and lower distortion (at the loss of emotion). The MAD Ear+ is, however, another fine choice in the same rough price range and it is also quite neutral even though it's a tube amp.

One last thing, when you read a review, do understand that it reflects the user's sound preferences. These are usually not stated and may differ markedly from yours.

Here's the music I played with the Sugden and my SBH on Saturday, including parts of: Boxer, The National, Mahler's 5th Symphony, Black Sheep Boy, Okerville River, Transistor Radio, M Ward. All of them sounded great

As I recall. You really enjoyed the Blue Circle. And the Sugden Is in the same League? Good to know

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 5
I owned a HeadMaster for a while. It sounds very good, and I think Frihed nailed it's sound correctly. I felt the Meier Opera was clearly better, and so I sold the Sugden after getting the Opera. I think the BC SBH is slightly better than the Opera, so there you go - that is my two cents.

For $660, however, it is a good amp.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 5
The SBH has more impact than the Sugden without being froward. I don't know the Meyer. The Sugden is maybe a bit more refined than the SBH, but I don't listen to ear-tickling music (Mozart) where refinement matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back