SugarMaple OD300
Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 13
NO...but I sure would love too.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 13
Nice article here
http://www.wallofsound.ca/uncategorized/mapletree-audio-line-2b-se-preamplifier-with-rm1-remote-using-bent-audio-motorized-alps-potentiometer/

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Bumping this thread as I just purchased a Mapletree Sugarmaple Octal Duo 300. These amplifiers are custom made in Canada, by Dr. Al Freundorfer. From what I have seen, they rarely come up for sale on the used market. For example, in the two years that I have been looking for one I have seen only two for sale. A Sugarmaple Octal Duo OTL on Canuck Audiomart in 2020 which was sold by the time I tried to purchase it, and the Octal Duo 300 SET (serial # 5 of a total of 10 ever made) that I just purchased this past week, which was only on Canuck Audiomart for two days. Still awaiting delivery, but I will post in regard to this headphone amplifier once it arrives. It is a very neat piece of hifi gear that should synergize quite well with my higher impedance dynamic headphones. 😀

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 13
I have had my Mapletree Sugarmaple OD 300 for a few weeks now and find it to be a fine sounding headphone amplifier. It works quite well with my AKG K240 Sextetts which are 600 ohms, as well as my Sennheiser HD 600's (300 ohms).

What came as a pleasant surprise is how nicely my planars sound with the OD300, even though it
appears to have been designed to work best with higher impedance dynamic headphones.

Being a pure Class A design, the OD 300 runs quite hot, which will limit its use to the cooler months of the year.

Waited two years to find a used one of these rare headphone amplifiers (only 10 were ever built) and it was worth the wait. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20230607_172030.jpg
    IMG_20230607_172030.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230607_172044.jpg
    IMG_20230607_172044.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 13
Update: 5/26/2023 - I emailed Al Freundorfer who now oversees Mapletree Audio. He told me about a new headphone amplifier that
he offers which includes both the OD300 SET circuit and OTL circuit in one chassis for greater flexibility , along with a tone control dubbed mellow boy,
which allows you to contour the sound. The power supply comes in a separate chassis. Price is $1200, which IMO is very reasonable for a bespoke audio component that uses quality parts.

Earlier...

I have had my Mapletree Sugarmaple OD 300 for a few weeks now and find it to be a fine sounding headphone amplifier. It works quite well with my AKG K240 Sextetts which are 600 ohms, as well as my Sennheiser HD 600's (300 ohms).

What came as a pleasant surpriseis how nicely my planars soundwith the OD300, even though it
appears to have been designed to work best with higher impedance dynamic headphones.

Being a pure Class A design, the OD 300 runs quite hot, which will limit its use to the cooler months of the year.

Waited two years to find a used one of these rare headphone amplifiers and it was worth the wait. 😊

Update: 5/26/2023 - I emailed Al Freundorfer who now oversees Mapletree Audio. He told me about a new headphone amplifier that
he offers which includes both the OD300 SET circuit and OTL circuit in one chassis for greater flexibility, along with a tone control dubbed mellow boy,
which allows you to contour the sound. The power supply comes in a separate chassis. Price is $1200, which IMO is very reasonable for a bespoke audio component that uses quality parts.

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 13
he offers which includes both the OD300 SET circuit and OTL circuit in one chassis for greater flexibility, along with a tone control dubbed mellow boy,

Al sent me some photos of his latest headphone amplifier, which I have posted below. The one with the wood sides is the OD300/OD OTL, which retails for $1200; it's basically two headphone amplifiers in one chassis plus the power supply in the second chassis. It also has the "mellow boy" tone control feature that is available with the original Octal Duo OTL headphone amplifier. The second amplifier is the OD300/OD OTL/3 WPC power amplifier which sells for about $1250. This version can also have a subwoofer output installed.

Contact Al at the Mapletree Audio Website for further information on his latest offerings. https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_161756864.jpg
    IMG_20220222_161756864.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 0
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220222_161643107.jpg
    IMG_20220222_161643107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Al sent me some photos of his latest headphone amplifier, which I have posted below. The one with the wood sides is the OD300/OD OTL, which retails for $1200; it's basically two headphone amplifiers in one chassis plus the power supply in the second chassis. It also has the "mellow boy" tone control feature that is available with the original Octal Duo OTL headphone amplifier. The second amplifier is the OD300/OD OTL/3 WPC power amplifier. Please contact Al at the Mapletree Audio Website for the price of the power amp version. This version can also have a subwoofer output installed.
https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I just wanted to comment in regard to the excellent service I received from Al Freundorfer at Mapletree Audio Design.

I recently contacted Al in regard to making me a new connector cable for my Mapletree OD300 SET headphone amplifier. Al was quick to answer my Email and within a few days had made and shipped my new cable. I had sent him a few photos of the OD300 so that he could see exactly what cable he had used on this particular headphone amplifier. Upon receiving the photos, Al noticed that one of the Mapletree name plates had worn away and offered to send me replacement name plates at no charge.

Please keep in mind that I did not purchase the OD300 from Al, but instead used. Yet, I received the same type of service that someone who purchased a brand new Mapletree Audio Design product would receive. This is why I like supporting smaller specialty audio companies, since you deal directly with the owner who stands behind the products they sell.

Mapletree Audio Design is a great company that manufactures excellent products at very reasonable prices, and offers first rate customer service.

Thanks again, Al!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back