Sugar Shock - you'll be shocked to find out how much sugar you eat
Jun 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't agree with some of her estimations as I think she was leaning a little more towards the shock value. However, it is true that we consume way more sugar than we ever should. My mom started weaning us off of sugar when we were young. Later in life I tried regular sugar jelly and I can't even eat it now. It just tastes way too sugary.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Sugar makes my ears ring! Sugar messes up my tunes! I avoid it!
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 13
I can't enjoy food with too much sugar, most have too much it actually makes my head hurt. If I cook or mix sugar in drinks I try to use brown sugars.

Sodiums have to be watch out for as much as sugar.

That youtube channel has some other videos.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Sugar, especially mixed with flour makes my belly happy too!
smily_headphones1.gif
For about a half hour...then I'm hungry again....even more than before!
blink.gif

frown.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 13
sugar has a noticeably horrid effect on me. I try to control my intake.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with some of her estimations as I think she was leaning a little more towards the shock value. However, it is true that we consume way more sugar than we ever should.

Exaggerated estimations for some, truth for others, shock for sure. I see more people today reading labels in the grocery store than in previous years, which is great, but you need to understand what you are reading. It's the simple sugars that hurt. Complex sugars are needed by the body. Ergo things like Atkins, but even then one must use caution.

Personally, I dislike sweets. I hardly ever have candy, never chew gum, never eat holiday cakes and even turned away easter and halloween candy as a child. Odd considering my father had a sweet tooth. I am guilty of the occasional mocha latte or slice of peach pie (once a month?). Some of us also have to watch acids, so things like oranges, grapefruits and their juices are out too. But take heart, there are heathly sweets out there! ... A banana day keeps the doctor away!

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 13
What about my usual breakfast of a big bowl of cotton candy & mountain dew?

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 13
What's more important, particularly with the vast majority of American food, is that the sugar content is derived from high fructose corn syrup rather than cane sugar sucrose. HFCS is generally regarded to be a worst tasting and less healthy sugar option for use in food and drink. Its also added by the bucket to so many foods you wouldn't expect it to be and in quantities that are simply unnecessary. The USA also sets import tariffs on cane sugar in order for home grown corn to remain a viable product.

Soft drinks taste nicer in Europe than in the states.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 13
My Wife had pretty good luck with the Atkins/South Beach diet here about four years ago but the holidays that year goofed it up and she fell off it.

She got back on it about five days ago and has lost over eight lbs. She asked that I join her for moral support.

Basically what it is, is taking a look at the history of us Hominids over the last few million years and eating that which we have been adapted to and designed for. Processed sugars and flour, specifically the enriched white flours, are things we've only been eating for the last couple hundred years, and most heavily in the last 30 years or so.

I have noticed two things that are important to me. The ringing in my ears has been reduced by some 80% or so. And when I stand up from my chair and start walking, I don't say "WOAH" anymore!

EDIT: HFCS? I have a scull and cross bones stamp I use on packages with that crap inside!

...well; I would if I had one!

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 13
I agree 100% with Duggeh. American foods tend to taste strangely sweeter and worse than their european counterparts. Soft drinks are too sweet, and most chocolate candy bars are so sweet that are almost unedible (for us, that is). All canned food also shows this characteristic, for example tomato sauce or other ones. Do not even talk about ice creams (ugh). For spaniards is still worse because our food manufacturers add even less sugar than in the centre and north of europe. You americans add sugar almost to everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back