Sufjan Stevens: The Avalanche
Sep 4, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hunterboy55

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently got this and i thought it was pretty good. These were 'extra' songs that wee not part of illinois. ALthough some of them sound pretty good. There are also a couple various renditions of chicago which are interesting to listen to and see why he excluded them. Jsut wanted to see you guy's thought on it and if you'd pick it up.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I have to admit I was expecting a little more, but that's based on the Illinoise, Michigan and Seven Swans. This is an outtakes album and sounds like it. Better than most CDs out there, but far behind the above three. Man he's got 48 states to go so he better start pumping them out, not spending time mastering outtakes.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 9
yes, this in itself isn't on par w/ his other albums -- but do remember that these are B-Sides and other stuff; they're quite good as far as B-Sides are concerned. w00t for the 3 variants of "Chicago"!!

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 9
True. I still cant believe its a B-sides. Although "The Mistress Witchfrom Mclure" should have been on Illinois.

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 9
The acoustic version of Chicago is amazing.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 9
The Illinoise album was actually slated for two disc in the beggining but, some desisions were made and they just released one disc. That being said Sufjan on both albums hit the 70+ minute mark, when most artist are doing around 30 minutes and calling it an album. So even if some song are not that amazing, there are more than enough that are way to good.

and for the curious "Sufjan" is pronounced [ˈsʊf jɑn]
280smile.gif
oh and on the cover of the "Illnoise" record there was a picture of superman on the first copies and they had to remove it because of copyright issues. Luckly I somehow got my hands on an original copy....GO SUPERMAN!

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I love this album, like I absolutely love illinois album. Something about the way this guy writes just speaks to me.

A high point of the avalanche was track 2, Dear Mr Supercomputer. Purely because it's led me towards "enjoy your rabbit". I had steered clear because it was slated in some reviews as being all "trance", but seeing how he handles some more electronic stuff on the beginning of that track especially, I might now pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back