Suffering from my low impadence
Aug 29, 2007 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm listening using my ety er-6i plugged direct into the headphone plug of my zen microphoto. It beats most of the stuff in my house, and there's no apparent hiss.

But in a new CD I just bought, there's a definite hiss anytime the guitar plays. Bad recording I guess but I love the music, which is bummer hearing ssssss all the time a guitar plays (it's only apparent in silent parts).

I guess it's because of my ety's low impadence...

So, low impedance isn't always a charm :p

Would an amp solve this in any way?

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not unless the amp can re-record the guitar track. This has nothing to do with the low impedance, that's just how that CD sounds.

No. A really bad treble-less amp would solve the issue.

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. A really bad treble-less amp would solve the issue.

I'd prefer the amp that re-records the album.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Jokes aside, it most likely is in the recording and not a shortcoming of the ER6i...it would hiss most of the time if it was I think.

What CD is it? (Deadwing is great btw)

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 11
I just can't wrap my mind around how badly some records are recorded. It's just so unprofessional.
mad.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 11
If it's a hissing ssss sound as you describe, and only readily apparent in silent parts, that is indeed bad recording/producing. I'm not sure what CD/band you're listening to, but it's most likely a high-gain amp cranked up (for distorted guitars), and a lack of a noise suppressor. Anytime you run a guitar amp with the gain high up, it'll hiss. That's just the nature of the beast. Most guitar players, and just about all producers will put a noise gate/suppressor on the amp, or sometime afterward to eliminate this.. Sounds like these guys didn't.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't wrap my mind around how badly some records are recorded. It's just so unprofessional.
mad.gif

Thats why I don't pay for those people's records =]

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd prefer the amp that re-records the album.

We could arrange that. It would have a few recording engineers instead of the transistors or tubes.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 11
You could try ripping the cd to wave and running the tracks with the problem through Nero Wavelab, it has noise and hiss suppression algorithms. Not sure how good they are and how much this would affect the quality of the tracks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back