Sudden, severe tinnitus and high-frequency hearing loss!
Oct 23, 2007 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

PiccoloNamek

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I went to bed for the day, and when I woke up, I had a very strange sensation in my right ear, like it was full of cotton. After I regained my senses a strong high-frequency ringing became apparent. Not only that, but almost all of my high-frequency hearing was gone! I tried rubbing my fingers together next to my ear, and couldn't hear it at all. I've recovered somewhat in the past couple of hours, but the ringing is still very loud, and sounds are still softer.

This is very distressing, because I can't think of anything that could possibly have caused this. I never, ever listen to my music at loud volumes. I never go to loud concerts. I never go to places with loud noises (like construction sites). I always wear earplugs when in loud situations (when I'm working with a band, for example). I haven't been sick so I know there's no phlegm in my ear. As far as I know, I have no ear wax problems. I haven't taken any asprin. This seems to have just come right out of the blue, and it's very distressing. The loud ringing is overlaid on everything I hear and everything above the lower midrange is drastically attenuated.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could possibly be?
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 21
paranoia and stress. Wait a couple days and see if it persists, could be an ear infection.

why do these things always seem to happen to head-fiers who "always" wear earplugs, never listen to their music loudly? Seems very odd.. I listen to my music loudly, I don't wear earplugs to clubs, concerts, or on my motorcycle. The only time I use hearing protection is around power tools when levels can get really high. I have never once suffered the symptoms of tinnitus. My theory is that the ones who are most paranoid about their hearing are the ones who seem to think they suffer from tinnitus and convince themselves so, (not saying this is you).

I think a lot of head-fiers are reading too far into this tinnitus thing. You're not going to get tinnitus from cranking one or two songs on your ipod, walking past a construction zone, or spending a few minutes in a club. This kind of stuff happens after prolonged exposures, so get out and live a little. Reading some of these tinnitus posts on head-fi, its like people think because they cranked their favorite Beatles song on the subway their hearing is damaged forever.

For example, here are some accepted standards for exposure time it takes to cause hearing damage. These are guidelines used to determine if PPE is required on worksites. IE earplugs in construction zones.

85 dB- 8 hours
88 dB- 1 hour
97 dB- 30minutes
100 db- 15 minutes

Most people I know listen at around 70-80dB. "cranking it" on my stereo system, I measured 90dB. This is pretty loud and you would want to turn it down after 1 or 2 songs, and this would take around 45 minutes to cause hearing damage. 97dB is extremely loud and you will probably be covering your ears, and still it takes 30 minutes to do damage. For those people who think "oh I don't want to get tinnitus, I'd better listen to my music quietly", chances are you are listening at 60-70dB where you could be listening at 80dB (standard level) for 10 hours on end and STILL not get any hearing damage. If you think you are protecting your ears by turning your music down, take a look at the numbers and re-evaluate exactly what you're achieving. (most likely sacrificing enjoyment and fidelity because you think you are in danger of tinnitus). Better yet, buy an SPL meter from Radioshack, and find out exactly what 80dB sounds like and stop being paranoid.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do these things always seem to happen to head-fiers who "always" wear earplugs, never listen to their music loudly? Seems very odd.. I listen to my music loudly, I don't wear earplugs to clubs, concerts, or on my motorcycle. The only time I use hearing protection is around power tools when levels can get really high. I have never once suffered the symptoms of tinnitus. My theory is that the ones who are most paranoid about their hearing are the ones who seem to think they suffer from tinnitus and convince themselves so, (not saying this is you).

You're 20 years old! You'll see the damage you're doing to yourself years down the road...but by then it will be too late. I hope you're enlightened before then, and take steps to protect your hearing.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 21
Run some test tones in the 16K to 20K frequency and report back with your findings. Could be a bum tweeter.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're 20 years old! You'll see the damage you're doing to yourself years down the road...but by then it will be too late. I hope you're enlightened before then, and take steps to protect your hearing.

I do take steps to protect my hearing, when necessary. The key word here is necessary. Instead of subscribing to this common belief that any loud noise will damage my hearing, I actually researched the specific levels and exposure times. I purchased an SPL meter and familiarized myself with what these levels sounded like, and so I am able to make an educated and informed decision when it comes to listening. To me, that sure beats the hell out of all these "what level is the max I should listen at on my ipod" type speculations. Do you know what 60dB, 70dB, and 80dB sound like? This type of speculation and misinformation leads to ridiculous behavior. Wearing condoms is an excellent way of preventing STDS. Wearing 6 condoms at a time is foolishness. Just as listening below 85dB is good practice for preventing hearing loss, while listening at 50dB is a extreme measure that only accomplishes degrading your audio quality and listening experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Run some test tones in the 16K to 20K frequency and report back with your findings. Could be a bum tweeter.

Have run many many test tones when doing room tuning for my audio room, and I have no hearing loss in these ranges. Like I mentioned early, I am not ignorant when it comes to hearing protection, I am informed.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm well acquainted with all of the decibel levels and proper time limits. I don't walk around with earplugs always in all the time, and I don't listen to my music at whisper-quiet levels. The reason this worries me so much is that I already had ringing in my right ear to begin with, and to wake up and have it be ten times worse and with a severe roll-off to boot made me afraid I had had some kind of cascade failure in my hair cells or something.

At any rate, I have no insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor, so I'll just have to hope it gets better.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 21
sounds like wax impaction to me.

go to your doctor and have them take a look, he/she can clean it out. everybody's got wax, you dont need to have had a problem before. it could possibly be an ear infection, but you didnt say anything about pain, so that's less likely. i highly doubt this has anything to do with listening to music or loud noises.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At any rate, I have no insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor, so I'll just have to hope it gets better.

Go to an urgentcare clinic.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 21
the severe roll off is the result of the frequency of the ringing masking any freqs higher than that.
I have perm tinitus from inner ear damage (ruptured oval window) that was repaired at least 20 years ago. (also had severe vertigo
frown.gif
) I also can't hear my fingers rubbing or keys jingling in that ear.

BTW... was not caused by anythng audio related, but by a water skiing incident.
frown.gif

If it doesn't get better in a day or so, then yes, go see an audiologist.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 21
PiccoloNamek, an ear infection can cause tinnitus, but like you said there isn't anything obvious draining from your ear. If it was my ear, I would use the Murine ear wax removal drops and rinse with warm water using the blue rubber bulb. But that would be something I would do gently and carefully. There are some supplements that help with tinnitus. The flavonoid supplements and B vitamins in particular. Heres an article: http://www.nutrintl.co.uk/kudzu/kudzu.htm

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I'm well acquainted with all of the decibel levels and proper time limits. I don't walk around with earplugs always in all the time, and I don't listen to my music at whisper-quiet levels. The reason this worries me so much is that I already had ringing in my right ear to begin with, and to wake up and have it be ten times worse and with a severe roll-off to boot made me afraid I had had some kind of cascade failure in my hair cells or something.

perhaps it is time to reevaluate your financial priorities.

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 21
My financial priorities right now consist entirely of paying my bills and feeding myself. I don't spend money on audio equipment any more. (Except for those SR-60s, but that was using extra money I had made from doing wedding sound.)

I am working on getting a second job, however.

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

My financial priorities right now consist entirely of paying my bills and feeding myself. I don't spend money on audio equipment any more. (Except for those SR-60s, but that was using extra money I had made from doing wedding sound.)

I am working on getting a second job, however.

That's why I suggested going to a clinic. Should only cost about $30. But it's your hearing, and $. You descide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back