Subwoofers: HSU STF-2 vs. Sunfire SDS-12
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lbholde

Head-Fier
Which would you buy, the HSU Research STF-2 or the Sunfire SDS-12, and why?  Suppose the prices were identical (which they are not, the Sunfire is considerably more).  Listening will be 70% music and 30% movies.   Listening room is 19 feet long by 16 feet wide by 7.5 feet tall.  There is plenty of information out there on the HSU, but not much on the Sunfire, so I'd like some opinions. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 8
With that size room, the more powerful sub is the best choice out of these two. Sunfire lists their sub as having max SPL of 106 db with room gain. HSU lists CEA 2010 ratings of 104.7 from 20-31.5 hz, and 116.5 db from 40-63hz. While you can't normally compare different testing like that, my guess would be the HSU might be more powerful, but don't really know. However, the HSU appears to have a little bit lower frequency response (a plus for movies). Given HSU's reputation for good quality, I'd go for them. Not that Sunfire is supposed to be really bad, but their heyday as a sub manufacturer was like ten years ago.

However, in between the HSU and the Sunfire price is the SVS PB-1000. See S&V's review: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer That would be much choice in that price range.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 8
HSU VTF-2 MK4 is definitely good and should be more powerful than the PB-1000. If you are not in a hurry, Outlaw Audio often puts the LFM-1 Plus and/or LFM-1 EX on sale Black Friday/Cyber Monday or soon after--the Plus is the comparable to the VTF-2 MK; the EX better than both. Then the Rythmik LV12R is another 12" ported sub in the same class as these other 12" subs. And I own the Outlaw LFM-1 EX and the smaller SVS SB-1000 (which is not suitable for a larger room). All of those brands are very good :)

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 8
That'll be really nice. I think I mentioned I have the Outlaw EX, which is apparently very similar to the earlier VTF-3 MK2 (Dr. Hsu designed the Outlaw subs). First time I plugged it in with a blu-ray movie with my AVR, I literally though "OMG." :D

Try it with some of the four to five star movies in this list.

Also, as a tip, if you are using an AVR, when you run the room correction software, if it gives you a high negative number (like -10db) for the subwoofer channel, it's best to turn the gain (volume) down on the sub and run it again so you get something closer to 0 db. The idea is to better match the sensitivity of the subwoofer amp with the output from the receiver so that the receiver doesn't have to turn the output signal for the sub up or down much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back