Subwoofer with my headphone setup
Mar 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

haydenlake

New Head-Fier
So I have a variety of additional subs and amps at my disposal and I was thinking about adding one to my Headphone setup. I only use my cans (HD 280's) at night so I was thinking of putting the sub under my bed so I can still feel the music. I listen at really low volumes so the bass kinda goes away too.

Has anyone done this or has any recs.

I don't have a headphone amp yet (i'm using my adcom preamp) are there any headphone amps with an additional preout or sub out?

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, the sound isn't going to be right with your HD280 (despite their poor noise blocking under 120dB, they do still block enough that it will sound off). However, if all you're looking for is a more visceral "feel the music" experience, you'll still feel the tactile sensations associated with bass, so it would work for that.

I use a subwoofer with my open headphones (SR-225, HD650) with a crossover set to 50Hz so that I can get the realistic bass response (as we know, bass is way more than just sonic) while still enjoying the incredible sound quality offered by the cans. Also, 50Hz and under have no problems going right through the foam surrounding the ear, which goes a long way to mitigate phase problems.

It is very important, however, that you calculate and compensate for the delay when using headphones (which are essentially immediate) and a seperate subwoofer which will take a few milliseconds to get to your ears.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I know a few people with K1000's have done this. Haven't heard about the results though. As far as headphone amps with pre-amp outs, yes there are some. WooAudio 3 comes to mind. I've never heard of one with a sub out.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I know a few people with K1000's have done this. Haven't heard about the results though. As far as headphone amps with pre-amp outs, yes there are some. WooAudio 3 comes to mind. I've never heard of one with a sub out.

I don't know about all subs, but my M&K has L & R in or mono sub in using the left channel. My GS-1 has preamp out and this goes to my Parasound Halo A23. The Parasound has L & R pass through and these go to my sub. The A23 does not have to be turned on to use the pass through. I have the sub matched to my speakers, but it can be used in combination with the headphones with the A23 turned off. The sub is next to the recliner where I listen to my headphones, so the delay is only about 5 ms. I seldom use my sub with my DT880s, but it works fine.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 5
When i trail my jecklins to my bed for dvd watching ive tried using my sub at the same time, all it did was make me notice that there was a sub throbbing in the other corner of the room. Now i dont bother turning on the sub unless ive got my speakers runnign and driving quite loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back