Subwoofer "thumps" when I turn it off
Aug 4, 2008 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

geniebomb

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to speakers; just got a Swans M10 2.1 set just a few days ago. I'm loving them so far. It's a different listening mood when I use the Swans when compared to using my Senn HD580's.

I have my speakers in my bedroom, and they have this blue light around the volume switch that is kind of distracting when I'm sleeping. I've been turning them off so far, by flipping the power switch to "off" before I sleep. The problem is, there's a big thump sound everytime I turn them off. My question is, is this harmful to the speakers? Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance.

George

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 5
i am interested to an answer in this as well, its gotten to the point where i just leave them on all the time because the "thump" sounds like it could be harmful to the speakers because its so loud.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a Def Tech sub that thumps if I cut the power. My cure: I never cut the power although mine doesn't have an actual power switch. It auto senses an input signal so it's meant to be powered up 24/7.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 5
Do you know if the thumping is actually bad for the woofer?

Aug 5, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 5
I've had my Def Tech (ProSub200tl) for 6 years. It thumps every time the power goes out so it's happened probably 15 times or more. When it happens the cone reaches near maximum excursion but its never blown a fuse. It seems to be working fine after all of these years.

This is just my sub and I'm sure others react differently. Some might be damaged so it's best to avoid it if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back