Subwoofer suggestions to match the Swans M200?
Mar 20, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a set of Swans M200 sometime within the next few months, but I'll also need a subwoofer to go with it. I have a Future Shop gift card for $30 (sort of like Best buy but in Canada), and I'm wondering what I should go with:

Is there anything in this selection that's worth its value in Canadian dollars?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...EN&catid=10554

I also wouldn't mind not getting Swans M200 and going for just a pair of bookshelf speakers. In that case, would anything in the following listing be worthwhile?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/sub...EN&catid=10552

I apologize for providing a long list of items for everyone to take a look at, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'll do more research on what looks good. Also, I'd like to buy something at Future Shop because I have a gift card to spend (however if the price, even with the gift card is way more than I would be paying elsewhere, then please tell me).

Thanks.

Edit: More particularly, I've been looking at the Polk subs listed on that page as well as the Athena bookshelf speakers -- just to give some focus.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi Cyrilix,

If I remember correctly, the Swans M200 are powered speakers. As such, if you are considering a regular bookshelf, you'll need to give us some info on your amp.

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 13
Actually, I don't have a speaker amp. Are you saying that since Swans are powered speakers, they don't need an amp? If that's the case, then I'll be glad with how much $$ I can save.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 13
No, the swans do not need an amp.

Some subs are powered, including some computer subs as well as non-computer ones. If you are after a non-computer one get a small one (Mirage Nano or paradigm or energy 8") in Canad should be a good bang for the buck.

Some people will recoomend those atheans at future shop, or others, with a cheap t-amp and avoid the swans and sub.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion. I was mainly looking to get a sub, but I'm not so sure if I can find a good deal on an entry level hi-fi sub at future shop.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 13
I've listened to many good entry level speakers ($200-300) before, but I haven't had any luck with good entry level subwoofers. IMO, all the entry level subs I've heard sound bloated and slow. I don't know why....

IMO, you're better off saving for a better quality sub. I have heard decent ones in the $400-500 range.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 13
How will you control the volume on the sub when you change the volume on the speakers? This is not a good plan. If you must do it for cheap, either go with computer speakers or get a real setup with old used gear.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 13
Hmm... I see. Guess I'll go for the Swans without sub for pure music purposes...although I've heard of people connecting subs with the Swans though.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 13
It may be possible to maintain adjust the volume for both sub and powered speakers through your computer.

If the line out/headphone out is run to your powered sub first and from the sub to the speakers, you can leave the volumes on the sub and speakers as is and adjust the volume through your computer's volume controller. Of course, you'll have to do the initial set-up manually on the speakers and sub to make sure the volume on both of them are at roughly the same level.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 13
You should consider it only if you can't upgrade for a long time, because otherwise, you'll be stuck with mediocre equipment that no one wants. Otherwise, some good advice would be to buy used and keep your options open. With any luck, you can sell any gear you get that way for what you bought it for and move up when you're ready. If you're set on making the best of what you have and don't plan on upgrading, there's not much you can do, especially if you don't buy vintage gear.

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 13
You know what, I just looked at the swans and it looks like they have a speaker level output for use with subwoofers/amps that can handle that input. Looks like it could work, after all. Ingenious of them.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 13
On the back of my Swans, the only speaker level out connectors are the connectors to send the signal to the left speaker.

I agree with difficulty with using a sub with this pair of speakers. I imagine you could put a Y connector on one of the RCA inputs, and send it to the Sub. The only elegant way I can think of is to find a sub with its own crossover that works on the line level aspect. IE RCA out from the source directly to the Sub, then RCA out from the sub after the Crossover to the Swans. Even then the volume control on the Swans will not alter the sub level.

I don't listen to the Swans enough to want to go to that much trouble.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Wait, I think I know what you're saying. That won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back