Subwoofer recommendations
Aug 15, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
As some of you may know, I picked up an pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1's. They are my first speakers, and are hooked up to my marantz 2216b. I love them, but they only have 5" drivers and the bass is sort of weak to me (what can I say, I'm a bass junky, I sometimes love the effect of a little rumble in my room where I can feel my music.)

The crossover frequency on the wharfedale diamond 9.1's is 2.3 khz. I want a compact sub as my room is not too big, and I don't want to spend so much. Because I'm using the vintage Marantz, I have no subwoofer input, and even though I probably will upgrade my reciever to a NAD or something in the future, it's not happening yet.

I was thinking of this sub, any comments on it? It's heavy, but also has perfect dimensions for me.
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=12.1

My only concern is shipping to Canada. (Maybe somebody can check the site, I have no credit card or anything to use to check what it'de cost to ship it to me.)

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Looks like a good construction for the price. However, if you're rather limited in terms of placement options for the sub, I'd recommend to look for something similar, but with a pot for phase adjustment instead of just a simple phase switch. Otherwise you might end up with bass soup instead of properly defined and well extended bass...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Looks like a good construction for the price. However, if you're rather limited in terms of placement options for the sub, I'd recommend to look for something similar, but with a pot for phase adjustment instead of just a simple phase switch. Otherwise you might end up with bass soup instead of properly defined and well extended bass...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I see.. Just for some opinions on sub placement, I was thinking of placing the sub where the old sub was, or otherwise on the other side of the room where my blacklite is (on the left of the wardrobe.) I could also place it on the left of my desk or in the corner behind the dresser

See:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...postcount=2270

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 11
I dunno if the price is too steep for you (gotta put a limit somewhere, LOL), but if you need a smallish and good sub, you will probably do no better than an SVS SB12-Plus when it comes out in late September. If it is within budget, jump on the preorder now, because it will be hot as fire and worth the wait if it is anything like everything else that SVS makes
basshead.gif

Edit: Forgot to mention that it starts at $699.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
If you are looking in the $200 range you may consider this one as well. It's quite nice for the price. Don't know about shipping to Canada.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...em/MORDMS907BL

I've kind of got my mind set on the X-sub. My price range is rather limited, and it is much smaller then the sub you linked to.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 11
bump.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 11
The X-sub is a reputable product and for the price and construction it is probably a good deal. IIRC it's designed by Dannie Richie, who is good and competent. (The larger AV123 sub is designed by Phil Bamberg, who is also good.) You're not going to get floor-shaking bass with an 8 inch sub, even aggressively ported, but you will get the 70-80 Hz thump that you're looking for. (When most people talk about tangible bass, they're actually talking about the 70-80 Hz region, which contains the resonant frequency of the human chest.) Anyway, I would get it. I doubt it's the wrong choice.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
The X-sub is a reputable product and for the price and construction it is probably a good deal. IIRC it's designed by Dannie Richie, who is good and competent. (The larger AV123 sub is designed by Phil Bamberg, who is also good.) You're not going to get floor-shaking bass with an 8 inch sub, even aggressively ported, but you will get the 70-80 Hz thump that you're looking for. (When most people talk about tangible bass, they're actually talking about the 70-80 Hz region, which contains the resonant frequency of the human chest.) Anyway, I would get it. I doubt it's the wrong choice.

My old logitech z-5500 subwoofer gave me an rather floor shaking rumble effect I was happy with (although the bass was boomy and crap on those speakers imo.) Will I get a similiar effect with this sub? It was 10 inches according to Logitech's site, although it was sort of small..

Powerful, distortion-free bass: The new, larger 10-inch long-throw subwoofer driver with flared bass port delivers 188 watts of thunderous bass.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
My old logitech z-5500 subwoofer gave me an rather floor shaking rumble effect I was happy with (although the bass was boomy and crap on those speakers imo.) Will I get a similiar effect with this sub? It was 10 inches according to Logitech's site, although it was sort of small..

Powerful, distortion-free bass: The new, larger 10-inch long-throw subwoofer driver with flared bass port delivers 188 watts of thunderous bass.

You'll get a nice rumble and tighter more controlled bass than the Logitech.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
You'll get a nice rumble and tighter more controlled bass than the Logitech.

Thought so.

I am only concerned about placement. I said before where I am thinking of placing the sub. Any comments on where I said I am considering placing the sub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back