subwoofer on stereo setup
Dec 6, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'd like some advice as I am probably going to improve my speaker rig soon. I have an eye over the x-ls series for speakers and subwoofer, but I first need to know : If I use a stereo amplifier (not a home-theater reciever), how do I make to transform the 2.0 setup into a 2.1 or 2.2 one?
confused.gif

I might have two alternatives :

1) I have a fairly powerful amplifier (100watts / channel or over),

2) I have a fairly weak amplifier (Sonic Super T-amp),
along with the speakers.

Any advice on how to configure my setup will be appreciated.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 12
I currently have a 2.1 setup that I use for my HT as well.

I use my power amp to power my speakers and sub... there is nothing at all wrong with doing it that way. Just find a sub that has high level inputs (uses speaker cable from your amp to the sub). You can also use your source if it has a sub output and mate it with a sub that has sub input (RCA type).

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have a 2.1 setup that I use for my HT as well.

I use my power amp to power my speakers and sub... there is nothing at all wrong with doing it that way. Just find a sub that has high level inputs (uses speaker cable from your amp to the sub). You can also use your source if it has a sub output and mate it with a sub that has sub input (RCA type).

Well put.

For the high-level inputs, If your reciever has only 1 set of speaker output then connect the reciever to the subwoofer then connect the speakers to the subwoofer's high-level output which is a bypass of the signal from the reciever.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well put.

For the high-level inputs, If your reciever has only 1 set of speaker output then connect the reciever to the subwoofer then connect the speakers to the subwoofer's high-level output which is a bypass of the signal from the reciever.

I saw that high-level inputs and outputs on the xls-subwoofer... Does that mean I can connect it directly to my source, use the rca directly into the sub, then connect the speakers? Or do I need a pre-amp between the sub and my source?

As I see it, the whole setup could be

source --> rca interconnect --> subwoofer's line input --> subwoofer --> subwoofer's high-level output --> speakers.

by cutting connecting stuff, it remains
source --> subwoofer --> speakers, using the subwoofer's internal amplifier to amplify the whole system.

The more classic way :

source --> amplifier --> subwoofer high-level input --> high level output --> speakers

By travelling through the sub's crossover, does it get re-amplified? or it just separates into two inputs, one for the speakers and one for the sub?

Btw, I don't think I'll use a reciever but probably a stereo integrated amplifier (no subwoofer output).

THanks in advance

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 12
I have an MJ acoustics reference 100 sub. High level input on the sub means that you can connect it to the speaker terminals on your power amp. It probably has a variable gain control. This allows you to fine tune the sub level to match your speakers.

This kind of connection is generally preferable to using a line-out from your amp to the sub, at least in a hi-fi set up, as all the signal comes from the same output. I just have L&R positive and L negative piggy-backed on my speaker terminals and this goes via a neutrik connection to the sub. Now if only I lived somewhere I could let my speaker set-up breath! Thats's why I came to head-fi.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that high-level inputs and outputs on the xls-subwoofer... Does that mean I can connect it directly to my source, use the rca directly into the sub, then connect the speakers? Or do I need a pre-amp between the sub and my source?

As I see it, the whole setup could be

source --> rca interconnect --> subwoofer's line input --> subwoofer --> subwoofer's high-level output --> speakers.

by cutting connecting stuff, it remains
source --> subwoofer --> speakers, using the subwoofer's internal amplifier to amplify the whole system.

The more classic way :

source --> amplifier --> subwoofer high-level input --> high level output --> speakers

By travelling through the sub's crossover, does it get re-amplified? or it just separates into two inputs, one for the speakers and one for the sub?

Btw, I don't think I'll use a reciever but probably a stereo integrated amplifier (no subwoofer output).

THanks in advance

You cannot connect the subwoofer directly to the source (CD player, tuner, etc... Not the receiver/integrated amp powering the speakers) unless you can control the volume output from the source in conjuction with your speakers.

The connections should go like this:

Source (CD player for example) ---> R/L RCA cable ---> Integrated amp --->
speaker cable from amp's speaker output ---> subwoofer's high-level input ---> speaker cable from subwoofer's high-level output ---> speakers

The signal does not get re-amps through the crossover in the subwoofer. The signal is acutally by-pass and goes to the high-level input. You can even have the speakers connected while the subwoofer is off and not plugged in and the speakers will still work. The crossover in the subwoofer acutally taps into the signal, but not having the whole signal forced to go through the crossover. The signal does not get re-amped from the crossover as I said before it is by-pass and goes directly to the output.

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks all, nice, quick and precise answers, omg I like this website
eggosmile.gif

The thing that confused me was the line input and the speaker output...

Last thing : if I wanna use a pair of subwoofers, do I do this :

source -> amp
-->left speaker cable-->left input on sub-->left output on sub-->left speaker
+
->right speaker cable-->right input on sub->right output on sub->right speaker

I've read in many sites that a pair of bookshelves deserved a pair of subs for better impact and texture, anyone had experiences with single/double subs they'd like to share?
thanks all

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 12
If i had my choice between two smaller, less powerful $200 subs and 1 larger, more powerful $400 sub, I would go with the latter. There are many advantages.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Agreed- you would get alot more benefit from a single quality sub than a pair of cheap ones. L/R separation isn't too noticeable in LF, but you would definately hear difference in bass quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back