Subwoofer + K701s = ....
Jan 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to a dance record the other day on my speaker system, and just loved the really hard hitting bass my woofer produced. Then I thought "Wait, my cans are open, so the sound should be able to flow through them as well as out..." One thing led to another and I have my woofer hooked up to the RCA outs on my DV336i.

Good god this is amazing! Once the crossover is set properly (Mine is at 80hz) and the volume calibrated, you can get some rather crazy results. Headphones detail + sub's body shaking = win so far. One thing you have to be careful of though is drowning out your cans with the woofer. That's why calibrating the subwoofer's volume (And positioning) with your can amp (Guess a pre-amp in this case) is very important.

I will write more as I study this setup, but for now I will say it's really fun, specially to tweakers and such.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 6
Annoyed neighbors.

An amp with volume-controlled outs (like the GS-1) would probably work well for this application.

However, as bass is the culprit for noise complaints, it is an inelegant solution for times when one is constrained to headphones.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Hah, well I don't live in a apartment or cookie cutter village, so I didn't even think about that.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, well I don't live in a apartment or cookie cutter village, so I didn't even think about that.

It is possible to get noise complaints in a freestanding house on 1/2-2/3 acre of land. Careful the windows - they pass bass quite well even when closed
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the setup calibrated so the the woofer is only a few feet behind me, that way I don't have to run it very loud.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 6
I had a similar experience when I owned a set of Grado SR-125s. I run my headphone amp from the monitor out of my A/V receiver so I can use the receiver as a switch for sources. I had forgotten to turn of the speakers and started playing music. I was surprised about how lively everything sounded until I realized what was going on. I actually still do this from time to time when I'm feeling bored!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back