subwoofer jack possible?
Sep 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Attempting to connect computer speakers to my receiver I had to cut off the RCA jacks at each end to expose the positive and negative wires so that they could be connected to the receiver. Got a little hasty and did the same with the subwoofer jack before I realized I could have just inserted the RCA jack as it was so now I'm wondering if there's a way to still use this cable without purchasing a new one by soldering or connecting a RCA jack to the exposed wires. I would do so on one of the removed RCA jack, but how do I know which is positive and which is negative?

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 8
You could test for continuity. The sleeve is negative, and the pin is positive.

A question... Why do you want to connect your computer speakers to a receiver? There's a chance that they won't be driven properly; you may put strain on either the speakers or the amplifier.

RCA cables are cheap enough that it might be a better idea to buy a new one.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 8
How would I go about testing for continuity?

The reason I have computer speakers connected to the receiver is because I'm too cheap... that and the DAC/AMP that came with these speakers started breaking down in the left rear channel so instead of replacing it with another DAC/AMP I went and got a receiver. The speakers are still good so I wanted to put them to use for the time being... how would I know if the speakers or the AMP are being strained in this particular configuration?

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would I go about testing for continuity?

You'll need a multimeter that's setup for normal operation (red into V/ohm, black into COM), with the dial turned to the symbol below. Touch one test probe to the pin and touch the other probe to one of the two wires at the other end. The wire that causes the reading on the meter to go closer to zero is the positive (+) wire, therefore the other one is negative.

conticon1.jpg

Practically any cheap multimeter will work for this application.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k
how would I know if the speakers or the AMP are being strained in this particular configuration?

One or the other will blow.
tongue.gif

But realistically, that probably won't happen. The problem is that some speakers are harder to drive than others, and perhaps the original amplifier was made with their specific impedance curves in mind. *shrug*

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YTouch one test probe to the pin and touch the other probe to one of the two wires at the other end.

Sorry for the question, but what exactly are you referring to by the pin?

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 8
The tip or pointed part of the RCA connector. I forgot to mention... You can also determine polarity by looking at the color of the shield around each of the two wires. Red or black is positive, white is negative.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Now that I figured that out I find out that I need a powered subwoofer... grr! Thanks for the info though on determining how to connect the cable and the RCA input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back