Subwoofer integration: have 3 questions
May 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mamba315

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a pair of the Audioengine A5's now and have them hooked up to a Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer. I have a few questions on getting the best from my setup.

1) Is there an "order of operations" when it comes to integrating a subwoofer? So many variables: room placement, gain level, crossover setting, phase setting, and for the Dynamo, bottom or front firing configuration.

2) What do I listen for to determine the proper phase setting? There is a switch for 0, 90, and 180 degrees.

3) Is it true that all the bass frequencies flow through the left channel? I bought my sub used and it came with an Audioquest Sub X cable which runs from the L sub out on the A5's to the L line-in on the Dynamo. Sounds fine to me, but just wanted to double check on this.

Currently running Xonar Essence STX -- Audioengine A5 -- Martin Logan Dynamo. Before this I was running an older, cheap Logitech 2.1 system so this is my first go at integrating a subwoofer into some relatively full-range speakers. Any advice or helpful links would be appreciated. Thank you!

May 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 4
Download the Rel manual, aspects of that will cover all subwoofers. I'd mix in both left & right audio to your sub, you don't want just bass from one channel being reproduced. Unless you buy stereo subs.

Generally though if your sub is next to your mains phase should be left at 0'. Cross it at the bass point or lower than your main speakers can reproduce.

May 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Saw a great placement tip on Tekzilla when they were visiting Dolby Labs - hook up the subwoofer and place it where you usually sit and listen. Next, play a movie/music and walk around the room (into the corners, etc) and decide what spot the bass sounds best in. When you find that spot, place the subwoofer there. I thought that was pretty cool.

May 16, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 4
This is the best tip I've seen for setting subwoofer phase.
Subwoofer phase | AV Guide

You should use both L/R outputs of the A5 to the LR inputs of your sub.

Setting the crossover frequency is much harder, ideally it's a combination of trial and error, as the crossover knobs on most subs are notoriously inaccurate or unpredictable. To make it easier, you much want to use a Radio Shack sound meter attached to a laptop running Room EQ Wizard. This will allow you to interactively measurement and tweak the controls until you get a good blend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back