Subwoofer hum!
Dec 18, 2005 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sodacose

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just bought a new Infinity PS-8 subwoofer to help out the bass on my new MB Quart QL 204 C Bookshelves. Unfortunately, I have just noticed that when I turn up the volume to about half of max on my Sony STR-D611 receiver, the subwoofer starts to hum. The hum kind of reminds me of the kind you can get on a guitar when you leave the strings open and turn up the volume (the volume of the amp vibrates the strings, making them resonate). I've noticed this on my Technics SL-D2 turntable.

Right now the sub is on speaker level input and the bookshelves are connected through the sub. If it helps, the bookshelves are 4 ohms.

Thanks for the help!

edit: I just noticed that it doesn't hum when I play music from my computer: only the tt.

edit2: hmm, it seems that what I thought was only coming from the sub is coming from all the speakers. If I touch the tt connects where they connect to the receiver the humming sometimes stops. Is this a problem with the connects not being grounded or something like that? Could their sheilding be gone?

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Is your tt grounded - i.e. is the grounding litz connected to your receiver?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 8
I think that it is exactly that, a feedback noise, from the cartridge, try to separate them further, magentic cartridges get "cranky" while you crank the volume up too much, or it could be also any grounding problem...

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Sounds like subsonic (or near subsonic) vibration from your tt. Might need a filter or better vibration isolation for your tt.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 8
just chekin to see if this darn website will let me make a post here..........
frown.gif
seems like i couldn't make one in this other discussion i tried.. sure hope the administrators would look into this............. oh well its too late anyways as the item i was tryin to buy have been sold already...............
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 8
okay fixed it! darn I'm gald it wasn't a major problem. I ended up just moving the bookshelf speaker near the tt about a half inch and the humming all of a sudden just stopped. i have no idea what was causing it. I'm guessing it had something to do with the magnet in the driver or something. pretty weird.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back