Subwoofer has no high level out, only RCA. What do I do?
Jul 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NinjaMilez

New Head-Fier
From reading some setup guides I thought I had to connect my source to a speaker amplifier , then that to the sub via a high level input then the high level output on the sub to the speakers, which will be passive, but the sub-woofer doesn't have a high level out put for speakers.

Is it as simple as going from the source to RCA input on the sub and then from the RCA out on the sub to an amplifier and then to the speakers?

I'm using this with my PC that's why I've listed this under computer audio by the way.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 8
This is not like an active subwoofer+satellite system, where a (volume controlled) line level source is connected to the subwoofer, which contains amplifiers for the sub and the satellite speakers.

It's an add-on subwoofer. You are supposed to use an amplifier for the main speakers. The subwoofer can be connected to a "pre-out" (volume controlled line out) of the amp, or if such an output is not present, to a second speaker output of the amp.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 8
You need an audio/video receiver. This

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASCAM-PAR100-5-2-CHANNEL-SURROUND-RECEIVER-RS232-NEW-/261545424114

Besides, Audio Source stuff is kind of meh.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 8
are you using this with a active speakers or passive speakers? With active speakers you would go from: Computer ----> subwoofer line in -----> subwoofer line out ------> active speakers

With passive speakers, the preferred to do it is get receiver with subwoofer pre-out, and connect your subwoofer with RCA cables and a RCA Y cable . A single RCA cable works too but i find that the bass isn't as good. Doing this allow you to do proper bass management/crossover between your speakers and sub. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 8
. . . . and connect your subwoofer with RCA cables and a RCA Y cable . A single RCA cable works too but i find that the bass isn't as good.

That's what people often think based on subjective evaluations, but it really shouldn't matter. It's all going to the same mono amp input for the subwoofer. If you level matched and did blind tests, you shouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 8
i don't need to do a blind test to know that using the RCA Y cable makes my sub sounds louder than not using it @ the same volume setting. To me, using the RCA Y cable makes my sub volume sound similar/the same as when I did Computer ----> subwoofer line in -----> subwoofer line out ------> speakers.

Tho i will try a single RCA again just to reconfirm 

EDIT: yep, bass is louder

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 8
i don't need to do a blind test to know that using the RCA Y cable makes my sub sounds louder than not using it @ the same volume setting. To me, using the RCA Y cable makes my sub volume sound similar/the same as when I did Computer ----> subwoofer line in -----> subwoofer line out ------> speakers.

That's why I said "level matched." The sound quality should typically be the same if you level-match the gain (it's not really a volume control) on the back of a subwoofer. All you are doing is increasing the input to the amp if it sounds louder to you. There are typically no SQ benefits to doing this, and your sub amp is typically not going to play louder. This has been extensively discussed in home audio/video communities if you want to learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back