subwoofer cable connections
Feb 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bleemv1

Head-Fier
hey guys,

just wondering if I need to run 2x RCA to the input side of the subwoofer. Why do they have Left and Right line ins? Can I just run one cable from say the right channel out from my DAC, to the right channel in on the sub?

how does this affect the audio? less volume?

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 8
If you've got a av amp then a single cable will do. But if you've got a stereo system, then you need to send stereo signal to the sub. If you just send one side to the sub you'll be missing the other side bass.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 8
If you run both cables, the subwoofer takes the bass from both the left and the right channels (even though it doesn't do stereo playback by itself). So, like iriverdude said above, you'd miss out on any bass signals that were present only on one side.

Then again, if your amplifier has a separate subwoofer output, you can just use that.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 8
hey guys, thanks for the reply. I will need to send both left and right. It's a stereo out from the DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for the confirmation

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 8
How do you control master volume, if you just send full-range line level from DAC to sub? Volume on the sub is just to match up with the mains, which is controlled by pre-amp and also master adjusts sub vol. If you have a stereo pre-amp or integrated amp go

CD Transport--->DAC---Pre-amp-->poweramp--->speakers
************************--->Subwoofer

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 8
hmm. I'm confused haha.

Well, I've set the sub volume. Then the DAC pre amp out also controls the volume. DAC line out goes to the speaker amp which controls the book shelf volume only. So everytime I use the sub I basically adjust the volume to a level I like.

I basically only use the sub for gaming/movies. Not for music.

It might seem like a waste but I did get the sub for $49
smily_headphones1.gif
so with that kind of bargain I had to get it haha

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 8
You should not have to adjust the dial on the sub, when changing the volume on the speakers. That's what master volume control does. Once the sub crossover dial and volume is set on the sub you don't touch it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 8
yep i don't. I meant, I adjust the pre-amp to control the bass volume. The sub isn't connected to the amp that controls the speaker volume. That amp doesn't run off the pre-amp section of the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back