Subway-isolation IEMs w/older mp3 player (Ne-7m alternative?)
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hippopotami

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Like many others new to the IEM world, I'm on the lookout for a step-up from my JVC marshmallows with a focus on IEMs that excel in passive isolation. After spending several nights poring through the head-fi threads, I see there are a few recurring options in my price range (sub $80) but I want to find a pair that'll definitely play on an "older" mp3 player.

What I mean is this: I was ready to buy Nuforce Ne-7m's until I found a thread discussing how they don't seem to plug in the phones jack correctly on some older, non-iPhone/iPod Touch players. The last thing I want is to buy IEMs that don't work right with my gear (white 4 gig nano).

Does anyone else have issues using other newer IEMs on older players?

I'll be using them to listen to the news and radio shows on my subway commute, so after "compatibility," solid isolation is really the key factor for me (more so than great sound quality). Next up is durability, which few people seem to agree upon.
smily_headphones1.gif
Fourth is being low-maintenance, as in not having to change filters much if at all (back-and-forth reviews of the er6i makes this aspect sound a bit overblown, but...). Of course I don't want IEM's that constantly slip out of my ears while walking, but I could care less about looks, have no need for a mic, and I'm not too worried about microphonics. Again, my price range is US$80 and under.

Based on this mishmosh, which IEMs would you recommend?

*Or would I be better off saving some dough and just getting quality tips for my old JVC Marshmallows...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help,
-Dave

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 16
Etymotics have some of the best isolation, that is known.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Sennheiser CX300 fits your budget, has good noise isolation, is comfortable and has good sound quality and good bass. They're available from $20 from Amazon last i checked.

Edit: I am also a frequent subway commuter. These isolate well when travelling on the train. Get them!

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser CX300 fits your budget, has good noise isolation, is comfortable and has good sound quality and good bass. They're available from $20 from Amazon last i checked.

Edit: I am also a frequent subway commuter. These isolate well when travelling on the train. Get them!

I tried the CX300. Isolation is poor, particularly while riding on public transportation. Sound quality is awful - a muddy mess that is not suitable for listening to music. Avoid at all costs.

I replaced them with RE2s. Isolation is still poor, but the SQ is far, far better than the CX300. I use them with my 4G nano. They sound better with the nano alone than any amp that I've tried. They are decidedly mid-fi, but usable for commuting if you don't mind taking a break during trips on noisy trains.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the CX300. Isolation is poor, particularly while riding on public transportation..

Disagree. When driven by my iPod touch 2G, and with 50-60% volume, the CX300s isolate sufficiently well, though you might not be totally isolated.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disagree. When driven by my iPod touch 2G, and with 50-60% volume, the CX300s isolate sufficiently well, though you might not be totally isolated.

NYC subways must be noisier than those in Singapore.
smile.gif

In any case, subway noise is almost more pleasing to the ear than music heard through the CX300.
wink.gif

Truly dreadful.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

smile.gif

In any case, subway noise is almost more pleasing to the ear than music heard through the CX300.
wink.gif

Truly dreadful.

This is a partial hijack :p Yup, i've been to NYC, they are noisier.

Did you burn your CX300 in? They're pretty nice after burn in.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 16
The tips and insertion depth are more important than the actual IEM.
Any IEM should be fine with your nano. I think most people only had problems with the iphone 1g recessed jack.

Foamies + deep insertion creates the best isolation. The etymotics give the best isolation from what I've tried, though you may not like their sound sig, and they are out of your price range.
The altec lansing im716 is made/modeled from etymotic's headphones. I have the ep730 which is just a rebranded im716. Both of these seem to be in your price range.
Though since you are listening to mostly "talk" the eytmotic sound sig will not really matter.

and, I'm one of the people that can't stand the cx300. Good for $10, but not any higher.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

smile.gif

wink.gif

Truly dreadful.

I use them for about a year now. And the isolation is quite good even in the subway. And subway in Kiev is really loud, you can believe me.

Best phones for the price.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 16
X2 on the Ety recommendation, also tips are more important. Foam or comply provide the best. I use complys with my ety4s in a very loud gym and get as good of isolation as I could expect.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 16
As an update, I made my purchase...

Etymotic er6i - looked at for isolation, but passed on the price + concern about delicate cords (and the fuss of the filters...).
RE2 - got good writeups, but not so much for isolation.
CX300's (and CX400's) - didn't seem much stronger there (for what sounds like less fidelity).
NE-7M - I didn't want to have to mess w/getting the plug to seat right w/my (non-phone) player.
Sound Magic PL-30 - on the shortlist, too...

I decided to go with Altec Lansing UHP336 instead...$40 on ama zon...overall reviews were mostly positive (w/some fair). I figure that at that price point if it's a flop it's not a huge $ loss and at least I made a choice...Thanks again for everyone's help, and I'll let you know how they work out once I get them...

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #15 of 16
hippopotami, the NE-7M has a microphone for use with cell phones, so it has a 4 pole jack - tip, ring1,ring2, shaft. Stereo jacks are 3 pole - tip, ring, shaft. Although many people are using it without any problems, sometimes it has to be wiggled around just right for the contacts to line up right. Any headphone with 3.5mm mini stereo will fit your nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back