Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #856 of 981
I got my first set of IEMs a month ago and I got the Crimsons. Love the sound and I’m trying to wrap my head around how much better something like the Storm or Annihilator can be.

I’m definitely going to pick up the regular editions when they drop but man I wish I could try them now. Trying to figure out the best mobile DAC. I love the Bluetooth functionality of my Qudelix 5K and that it’s not big even if I’m hard wired in. I know I lose quality with Bluetooth but I’m active and being plugged in isn’t always possible with my lifestyle. If I’m Bluetooth, how much does a powerful DAC provide and do I lose all the super powers that the Storm would provide or will it still be an epic experience?

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #857 of 981
I got my first set of IEMs a month ago and I got the Crimsons. Love the sound and I’m trying to wrap my head around how much better something like the Storm or Annihilator can be.

I’m definitely going to pick up the regular editions when they drop but man I wish I could try them now. Trying to figure out the best mobile DAC. I love the Bluetooth functionality of my Qudelix 5K and that it’s not big even if I’m hard wired in. I know I lose quality with Bluetooth but I’m active and being plugged in isn’t always possible with my lifestyle. If I’m Bluetooth, how much does a powerful DAC provide and do I lose all the super powers that the Storm would provide or will it still be an epic experience?
You can have a look at Topping G5. It’s a quirky one due to EMI noises and kinda boring Topping ESS implementation, but the amp section of that device is stellar.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #858 of 981

Try the iFi GoPods for mobile use. This is among the closest you can get to fully wireless and they have even been tested with Storm by @antdroid and others.

I don’t think there’s a dongle or small bluetooth adapter that will drive Storm to its full potential, so additionally I‘d buy something powerful for stationary / transportable use. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune. There are plenty powerful transportable dac/amp solutions on the market today.

I have the Qudelix 5k, as well as T71. Both great devices but I doubt they will drive Storm properly. The problem is not necessarily Bluetooth but amp power.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #859 of 981
I hope @Chang will share what feedback they got at CJ SG regarding the Storm RE.

A big thank you to everyone that came down for CJ SG 2024! We're really humbled that so many people took their time to come down and test the STORM.
Many of you told me in person that you flew exclusively just to try STORM! Really glad that to hear that it was the star of the show.

Thank you to those that also provided kind feedback to us about the faceplates. While many did comment that the faceplates are ok in-person, a rework will be planned to make sure it is something we are proud of and can boast about. I've to admit that it's currently something we are not satisfied with; and we won't rush it but will work within a timeline to expedite it.

I've shared in person that we're looking at roughly a Q3 launch, and will be taking orders only then. Lead time will be 1-2 months after order. Launch will be announced here and also via our official retailers.

To sidetrack a little...
This CanJam was really fun for me as I also got to try out cool new IEMs. Unique Melodic's Alter Ego and 7th Acoustics Asteria were my personal highlights this CanJam!
Alter Ego has a seriously impressive build and also a switch that felt very intentional in its implementation. The low bass setting had particularly breathtaking mids. Beautifuly warm and effortless.

Asteria I've found to be a generalist that did a lot of things really well. Great clean bass (with enough quantity and slam) and also a treble that was sparkly and well extended without sounding sharp/spikey. Fantastic resolution and great tone!

Thank you all for making this CanJam a memorable one for me!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #860 of 981
counting-maths-timezone.jpg

The few regrets in life include not ordering the launch edition.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #861 of 981
Try the iFi GoPods for mobile use. This is among the closest you can get to fully wireless and they have even been tested with Storm by @antdroid and others.

I don’t think there’s a dongle or small bluetooth adapter that will drive Storm to its full potential, so additionally I‘d buy something powerful for stationary / transportable use. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune. There are plenty powerful transportable dac/amp solutions on the market today.

I have the Qudelix 5k, as well as T71. Both great devices but I doubt they will drive Storm properly. The problem is not necessarily Bluetooth but amp power.

Yea the iFi Go Pods are the only TWS-Adapters that I have tried that have nearly enough power to get the Storm loud, let alone to its full potential. For Bluetooth in general, you are going to be limiting the fidelity of the source material too, so you will definitely want to use LDAC or one of the newer BT Codecs that arent very popular at the moment to make sure you have as little compression as possible. In my experience, older BT Codecs do a lot of compression that ruins the dynamics and older ones even cut off frequencies at the low and high ends and that can reduce some of the benefits of getting a higher tier headphone.

1000002136.jpg

Now with that said, why not just get a small DAP instead of a portable bluetooth dac? I use something as small as the Hiby R3-II and it works pretty well with STORM and is the size of my palm. If you want to stream BT to it, you still can just like a BT Adapter, and it costs about the same price as a good small BT Adapter anyway but can carry music and has a touchscreen and same or more power capability.

1000005543.jpg

My current portable setup with Storm is the Fiio M15S DAP. It works pretty well, and I love its pairing, especially with "All to DSD" enabled and on its highest gain (which is boosted when using a QC adapter).

1000005496.jpg

On a side note - the iBasso PB5 Osprey tube amp is a fantastic pairing with the Storm. It adds a small bass boost and smooths out the mids and treble even more and really provides a wonderful experience to this already great reference monitor. It does reduce the soundstage size a little bit, but it's worth it for the meatier sound in many songs. It's a blast to listen to 90s-era trip hop and electropop with.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #864 of 981
counting-maths-timezone.jpg

The few regrets in life include not ordering the launch edition.

As it is often in life. One door closed, another one opened. So many paths, so many opportunities. Maybe take the chance and invest the 5-6k in Bitcoin today and buy the Storm for free in Q3. The bull run hasen’t even warmed up, yet.

(This is not an investment suggestion, you might lose everything and there will be painful dips etc. etc.)

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #865 of 981
Hi @antdroid ,
could you please let us know which cable the one in the photo is? And can you please comment on how you like it connected with STORM ?
I went all out on this one and spent big bucks on this --- $22.50 USD during the last aliexpress sale.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr2TpWm

It does indeed look like it matches the colors and styling of the Storm very closely, and it also feels good in hand. I only just got it a day or two ago, so I haven't had too much listening time on it yet. I don't have any negative opinion on it so far. Generally, speaking I don't hear significant differences between this and the cable I was using previously which was the Plussound EXO copper.

The standard Mira cable that comes with Storm is the most technical sounding of the cables I use, but despite its lightweight and attractive looks and subtle sound improvements, I find it a little stiff to use on a daily basis that I prefer to use something else. I hope the new Miras are improved and it sounds like Subtonic/Nightjar updated the jacketing but I havent tried it yet!

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #866 of 981
I went all out on this one and spent big bucks on this --- $22.50 USD during the last aliexpress sale.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr2TpWm

It does indeed look like it matches the colors and styling of the Storm very closely, and it also feels good in hand. I only just got it a day or two ago, so I haven't had too much listening time on it yet. I don't have any negative opinion on it so far. Generally, speaking I don't hear significant differences between this and the cable I was using previously which was the Plussound EXO copper.

The standard Mira cable that comes with Storm is the most technical sounding of the cables I use, but despite its lightweight and attractive looks and subtle sound improvements, I find it a little stiff to use on a daily basis that I prefer to use something else. I hope the new Miras are improved and it sounds like Subtonic/Nightjar updated the jacketing but I havent tried it yet!
How is the pb5 was curious if its a warmer sound like woos tube mini ir more of a airy clean sound like ive heard cayins tube amp portable is

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #867 of 981
wow...that cable literally looks perfect with storm.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #868 of 981
Yea the iFi Go Pods are the only TWS-Adapters that I have tried that have nearly enough power to get the Storm loud, let alone to its full potential. For Bluetooth in general, you are going to be limiting the fidelity of the source material too, so you will definitely want to use LDAC or one of the newer BT Codecs that arent very popular at the moment to make sure you have as little compression as possible. In my experience, older BT Codecs do a lot of compression that ruins the dynamics and older ones even cut off frequencies at the low and high ends and that can reduce some of the benefits of getting a higher tier headphone.

1000002136.jpg

Now with that said, why not just get a small DAP instead of a portable bluetooth dac? I use something as small as the Hiby R3-II and it works pretty well with STORM and is the size of my palm. If you want to stream BT to it, you still can just like a BT Adapter, and it costs about the same price as a good small BT Adapter anyway but can carry music and has a touchscreen and same or more power capability.

1000005543.jpg

My current portable setup with Storm is the Fiio M15S DAP. It works pretty well, and I love its pairing, especially with "All to DSD" enabled and on its highest gain (which is boosted when using a QC adapter).

1000005496.jpg

On a side note - the iBasso PB5 Osprey tube amp is a fantastic pairing with the Storm. It adds a small bass boost and smooths out the mids and treble even more and really provides a wonderful experience to this already great reference monitor. It does reduce the soundstage size a little bit, but it's worth it for the meatier sound in many songs. It's a blast to listen to 90s-era trip hop and electropop with.
Bruh, you said 90s trip-hop...that is my genre of music. I am a big fan of the UK group 4Hero

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #869 of 981
Bruh, you said 90s trip-hop...that is my genre of music. I am a big fan of the UK group 4Hero

I saw one of my fav bands, AIR, announce a Moon Safari tour, and it got me re-listening to them on Roon. And then their "radio" started after that and I was listening to all these old trip hop tracks I hadnt heard in forever (stuff like Massive Attack, Portishead, Moorcheeba, Sneaker Pimps, Hooverphonics, etc.), and now I am revisiting this genre again which I listen from time to time but hadn't in a while.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #870 of 981
How is the pb5 was curious if its a warmer sound like woos tube mini ir more of a airy clean sound like ive heard cayins tube amp portable is

I would definitely put it on the warmer side, but I have not tried the Woo Mini. The only Woo I've owned is the WA7 Fireflies.
Because the PB5 has a bass boost (measurable!!), and to me, it sounds more vocal forward and holographic, I put this amp on the more warmer side, but it does not lose treble presence or air either. It does sound more intimate and lush but not overly rounded so I don't feel like I lose any technical performance going to this on the Storm. With already darker or bassier IEMs, I may not prefer the PB5 -- I think it pairs well with neutral/brighter IEMs.

See graph below of the measurable bass response difference with Storm on a normal dac/amp and Storm with the PB5 in the chain (green).

1712721486387.png

On the flip side, I also have the Oriolus BA300S MK2 portable tube amp and it's more neutral sounding than the PB5, as it doesn't have an exaggerated bass boost. People do find it warmer, but in comparison to the PB5, it's less so, although still smooths out a lot of the mids and treble like a warmer tube amp does.

I also tried the Cayin C9 Nutube and reviewed it back when it first released, but I don't own one to compare. From memory, it was definitely more neutral sounding compared to PB5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back