Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 27, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #661 of 1,003
Since I want to avoid to acquire a brick of a dap (dx329max ti) I was hoping for a change in the judgement of the synergy of Storm paired with N30LE. But obviously this combo is still not optimal.
You could try the Shanling M9+. It drives Storm very well and sounds great. It’s much smaller than 320 max and N30LE.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #663 of 1,003
Since I want to avoid to acquire a brick of a dap (dx329max ti) I was hoping for a change in the judgement of the synergy of Storm paired with N30LE. But obviously this combo is still not optimal.
i'd argue the N30LE is bigger than the DX320Max.

I own both, and I enjoy Storm on both, though I prefer it on the iBasso: the N30LE adds a bit too much low mid emphasis, and though it does this remarkably well, it's an area I'm very sensitive to.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #664 of 1,003
You are literally describing Shanling M9 Plus as your ideal DAP.

Great synergy with Storm, lightest weight flagship with higher usability. Physical size is still somewhat big, but nothing like the DX320 MAX Ti or N30LE. M9 plus is about 60% of the weight of the latter two.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #667 of 1,003
You are literally describing Shanling M9 Plus as your ideal DAP.

Great synergy with Storm, lightest weight flagship with higher usability. Physical size is still somewhat big, but nothing like the DX320 MAX Ti or N30LE. M9 plus is about 60% of the weight of the latter two.
how would you describe its signature compared to 320max ?

I don't quite understand how the M9+ can be so suitable for the N30 if the N30 is supposed to be too warm (?) for it. The M9+ is a DAP whose warm in the tuning ensures a lower resolution. The N30 is a little warmer than the SP3000, which is neutral-warm. I don't know Storm, but I would intuitively say that the N30 is good for it.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #668 of 1,003
I don't quite understand how the M9+ can be so suitable for the N30 if the N30 is supposed to be too warm (?) for it. The M9+ is a DAP whose warm in the tuning ensures a lower resolution. The N30 is a little warmer than the SP3000, which is neutral-warm. I don't know Storm, but I would intuitively say that the N30 is good for it.
i dont think any is good or bad. all 3 units are able to drive Storm sufficiently with their own signatures. M9+ and N30 on the warmer side and 320Max right on the Reference line.

With your post however, i remembered M9+ is not for me due to its warmth.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #669 of 1,003
i dont think any is good or bad. all 3 units are able to drive Storm sufficiently with their own signatures. M9+ and N30 on the warmer side and 320Max right on the Reference line.

With your post however, i remembered M9+ is not for me due to its warmth.
Exactly, that's what I believe too! And knowing me, if Storm is that neutral/reference, for me personally the N30 would be better to balance that aspect of brightness.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #670 of 1,003
I do think N30LE is a good source for storm, as is DX320 MAX Ti. M9 plus is warmer than the max ti which I think is also on the warmer side, but m9 plus has even better dynamics and transients. I don't think the resolution is less or worse than either N30LE or 320 max ti at all, but the latter two do present a bigger stage which may make it seem as if it's more resolving, compared to more information presented in a very slight smaller stage from the M9 Plus.

I don't think any other DAP pairs as well as these three does, I think storm leans bright-neutral and a warmer source would be ideal to balance out. Given he said he doesn't want a brick, M9 Plus is definitely the ideal solution IMO.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #671 of 1,003
I do think N30LE is a good source for storm, as is DX320 MAX Ti. M9 plus is warmer than the max ti which I think is also on the warmer side, but m9 plus has even better dynamics and transients. I don't think the resolution is less or worse than either N30LE or 320 max ti at all, but the latter two do present a bigger stage which may make it seem as if it's more resolving, compared to more information presented in a very slight smaller stage from the M9 Plus.

I don't think any other DAP pairs as well as these three does, I think storm leans bright-neutral and a warmer source would be ideal to balance out. Given he said he doesn't want a brick, M9 Plus is definitely the ideal solution IMO.
Well, I can tell you that the M9+ is definitely quite warm. Due to the smoother treble, the resolution comes across as low compared to the SP3000. I was able to test both myself. The DX320MaxTi is neutral/reference, crispy, airy, with leaner and in comparison thinner low-mids, so not warm at all. Otherwise yes: the M9+ is certainly a TOTL DAP, which is very light and small. Nevertheless, if the M9+ is explicitly recommended, it makes no sense to me to say that the N30 is too warm for it. Because again, the M9+ is notably warmer and colorated.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #672 of 1,003
Well, I can tell you that the M9+ is definitely quite warm. Due to the smoother treble, the resolution comes across as low compared to the SP3000. I was able to test both myself. The DX320MaxTi is neutral/reference, crispy, airy, with leaner and in comparison thinner low-mids, so not warm at all. Otherwise yes: the M9+ is certainly a TOTL DAP, which is very light and small. Nevertheless, if the M9+ is explicitly recommended, it makes no sense to me to say that the N30 is too warm for it. Because again, the M9+ is notably warmer and colorated.
I misunderstood, I thought the issue would've been the N30LE isn't warm enough, I certainly cannot understand how anyone would want less warm than it as a pairing for Storm, only more.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #673 of 1,003
I misunderstood, I thought the issue would've been the N30LE isn't warm enough, I certainly cannot understand how anyone would want less warm than it as a pairing for Storm, only more.
Oh, no problem. No, I read somewhere here that the N30 is supposed to be too warm for Storm. That was my difficulty in understanding that the M9+ should be better.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #674 of 1,003
Oh, no problem. No, I read somewhere here that the N30 is supposed to be too warm for Storm. That was my difficulty in understanding that the M9+ should be better.
Mind blowing to me anyone would consider N30LE too warm for Storm. If you were to ask me, I'd argue these are all the bare minimum given Storm sounds slightly bright-neutral in my definition.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #675 of 1,003
I didn’t say it’s too warm, but that it’s too much for me. It’s not what some others might think.
Mind blowing to me anyone would consider N30LE too warm for Storm. If you were to ask me, I'd argue these are all the bare minimum given Storm sounds slightly bright-neutral in my definition.

Again, personal flavor. Is it really mind blowing?
What’s mind blowing is how people still scuff or judge other people’s taste and preference. Why would you “argue”? Just listen to what you like, read other people’s opinions for what they are, and find what’s best for you.
In any case, the pairing of Storm with DX320Max seems to be the most successful and loved, if you’re going by opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back