Substitute for the Sony MDR-V6
May 4, 2006 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nm2285

100+ Head-Fier
I need a closed and portable (preferably one that folds somehow) headphone for my trip to Italy this summer. I dont really have any problems with the Sony's other than sound - not my preference. I own Ety ER-4P so canalphones aren't a consideration.

To give an idea of my sound signature preferences, I'm ranking headphones i've owned/heard in terms of sound signature, not sound quality:
best to worst: AKG K701, AKG K501, Beyerdynamic DT880, Etymotic ER-4P, Grado SR-60, Senn HD580, Sony MDR-V6, Sony SA3000, some lower AT model.

Thanks!

May 4, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 6
^
yikes good luck

seeing your ranking of sound signatures makes it diff, bc most closed cans by design sucko compared to open cans,

maybe consider the Senn HD-280, if they don't clamp your head like a pea!!
eek.gif

People dig them for their fold up design and closed back nature..not my gig but neither are closed cans..
their technical more analytical nature you may find cold and too forgiving for some genres of music...
I would purchase some MS-1's and go find some italian girls...
smily_headphones1.gif

-then when in Italy, have one of the local Chica's drive to you Austria on her velocipede (bicycle) and check out the AKG factory,
k1000smile.gif

May 4, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 6
The Eggos and K81DJs have got excellent reviews as well.

May 4, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 6
since you like the AKG sound you might want to take a look at the K81DJ. there's been an ongoing thread about them so you can read up on them there. i'm a big fan of the PX100 and i'll recommend the PX200 (these are the closed version). the 200s are not quite as good imo as the 100s but they are pretty close. they are uber portable because they fold up into a cool plastic case.

good luck!

May 5, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 6
So I've narrowed my options to:
AKG K81DJ
Beyerdynamic DT231
Sennheiser EH250
Sennheiser HD280
Sennhesier HD25-SP
Beyerdynamic DT250-80 maybe

I owned the AKG k271 at one point and enjoyed it, but it's not all that portable.

What do you all think? Among these choices, which best fits my sound sig preference?

May 5, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 6
The K81DJ has the most isolation out of most of those cans, excluding the HD280 and HD25SP, and is relatively cheap. If you want TRULY portable and are willing to pay for it, get the HD25SP; otherwise the K81DJ is probably the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back