Substitute for my HD600 at the office.
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rjalex

New Head-Fier
I have a Sennheiser HD600 which I'm very fond of and drive them with an O2+ODAC combo at home and a DYI valve DAC/Amp combo I bought from Ebay a long time ago but which has a GREAT sound (after I spent as much for its hum suppressing power source lol).

Today for the first time I brought the HD600 + the valve DAC at my office where I work in an terrible noisy open space to concentrate with music to write an important document.

It worked well for me LOL but after a little time a coworker tapped on my shoulder and asked if I could lower the volume, much to my surprise, but actually have to say there's a lot of my music leaking out of my beloved cans :) Guess that's why you call them open, right ? :)

With a budget <= 300 what would you recommend for a similar sound but isolating me from the environment, and the environment from my music plus being very comfortable to wear (I strongly dislike in-ear).

I mainly listen to good recordings of Jazz and Classical and a lot of "world music".

Thanks for any opinion.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 23
  Great suggestion. The reviews look really good. Maybe the only thing to check is if they're comfortable enough on my old bald head :)

I also recommend the Mr Speakers Mad Dog as well, they like the HD 600 benifit with an amp. 

More importantly though 

Do you need open or closed for this replacement. Is the replacement going to be using the same Amp as your HD 600 did, lastly if you do not mind me asking why are you replacing your HD 600? 

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 23
Hi Mshenay and thanks for trying to help.

Sorry my English is bad and I might not have my point clearly.

I need a closed design since I need to minimize the noise of the open space in which I work but also avoid my music bothering my coworkers.

I would still use ither the O2+ODAC or tube amp for the new cans.

I am keeping my loved HD600 for when I can use them for example at home when family is not around.

Hope that gave you some more data to reflect upon.

Take care

PS I live in Italy and therefore I hope to find something that can be shipped within Europe to avoid the nonsensical tariffs we slap on US stuff (and S&H too of course). 

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 23
  Hi Mshenay and thanks for trying to help.

Sorry my English is bad and I might not have my point clearly.

I need a closed design since I need to minimize the noise of the open space in which I work but also avoid my music bothering my coworkers.

I would still use ither the O2+ODAC or tube amp for the new cans.

I am keeping my loved HD600 for when I can use them for example at home when family is not around.

Hope that gave you some more data to reflect upon.

Take care

PS I live in Italy and therefore I hope to find something that can be shipped within Europe to avoid the nonsensical tariffs we slap on US stuff (and S&H too of course). 

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

How much are you willing to spend! I hear the Shure 1540 are very much like the HD 600! [In that they are both warm, relaxed detailed headphones] And the Shure 1540 is closed back :D yay, but it's like $500 new...

Outside of the Shure 1540 and the Mad Dog [which might come high crazy tax ] I'm not farmillar with anything that sounds simmilar to the HD 600 

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 23
Well ahem, 500$ is somewhat more I was thinking about but I could stretch if there are no unexpected expenses in the next couple of months :) Thanks for giving these good indications. I appreciate it very much.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 23
sorry, I did not see that you are also from Italy before posting the message.
Do not go for mad dog.
have you checked akg k550? they are nice cans.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 23
  Any opinions on the Sony Sony MDR-1R and/or the German Maestro 8.35D ?

I had a pair of MDR-1R for one week and returned them. The very low sub bass was just not there. Sony spec's them to a very low frequency response but doesn't state how many dB down it is at the low frequencies. The FR spec was written by lawyers nor Audiophiles.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 23
BTW, there is a distributor in Netherlands for mad dog. May be you can contact them, https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Resellers-Distributors
But I am sure the price would be like 300$ + 20% VAT + profit

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 23
  Any opinions on the Sony Sony MDR-1R and/or the German Maestro 8.35D ?

The German maestro are meant for monitoring and such applications. They are neutral, accurate, with realistic soundstage. Not as open like on the HD6xx series. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 23
  I have a Sennheiser HD600 which I'm very fond of and drive them with an O2+ODAC combo at home and a DYI valve DAC/Amp combo I bought from Ebay a long time ago but which has a GREAT sound (after I spent as much for its hum suppressing power source lol).

If you like HD600, consider Sennheiser Momentum (unless you have large ears, because of its small earcups).

I'm curious about the power source you're using for the O2+ODAC. Did you mean the AC-AC power plug or something else?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 23

The German maestro are meant for monitoring and such applications. They are neutral, accurate, with realistic soundstage. Not as open like on the HD6xx series. 

Yea they are not as open because they are closed back, most closed backs will be "not as open as open headphones" but they might not have the sound your looking for 
  BTW, there is a distributor in Netherlands for mad dog. May be you can contact them, https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Resellers-Distributors
But I am sure the price would be like 300$ + 20% VAT + profit

There is an option for the MD, which would be cheaper than the $500 Shure 1540, if Shure is even selling them in the EU [and I'm sure they are]

While the K550 is a very good headphone, the fit is VERY finnicky! If you can buy a NEW k550 WITH a return policy then go for it! Sound wise it really is an awesome headphone IF AND ONLY IF if fits your head. The K550 I had fit very well... but when I went to move my mouth, yawn eat drink or anything. My Jaw broke the seal. And the K550 without a good seal sounds very thin. So the K550 above all is a TRY for a WEEK before you buy headphone. 

Since I do a lot of PC repair at home and at work, I tend to eat ad drink with headphones on... and I yawn alot so I had to sell the K550 

But since there is a distributor for the Mad Dog in the EU, contact them, and if you can stretch to get a pair [Let's say for the sake of simplicity at $300+15 shipping+%20 your looking at roughly 400 ish] for $400 the MAD Dog is a nice buy, although te 1540 might be worth the extra $100 

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 23
one more point, mad dog needs an amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back