SUBSCRIPTION ENABLED DAP (UPGRADING FROM ZEN MICRO)
Jan 9, 2006 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ankga

New Head-Fier
I had zen micro for a little over three months. kinda get bored already since i'm tempted to have some other fancy colored screen DAP. i liked the border glow on zen though.

the main reason I bought a DAP is that so i can use 'em with my yahoo! unlimited subscription.

I'm gonna need a bigger capacity this time, like around 20GB.

color its kinda an issue too, i prefer an all black DAP.

audiophile sound: zen micro offers great sound quality, i'm gonna need at least equally to that.

Colored Screen! yea been wanting that...

also to remind, i use UM1 for my main output. i donna if that gonna make any difference.

some of the candidates are :

1. iRiver H10
(iRiver have a reputable sound quality from what i heard, looks nice in black, but i also heard that they don't support drag n' drop thru windows explorer)

2. Toshiba MEG-F20
(I don't know yet if yahoo! supports this, but it's a playforsure enabled DAP so i'm kinda pretty sure about it. it doesn't have any radio, mic or any other fancy stuff, but thats okay, never use 'em anyway)

3. Zen Micro Photo
(This most likely not gonna be my choice since it only has 8GB, but the reason i put 'em here is beacuse i loved everything about zen)

Thanks much, i appreciate it.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 14
Cowen's iAudio X5L has all the things that you are looking for plus some more.

Do a yahoo search or check it out on CNet.

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 14
the cowon x5 (l)'s subscriction support is still in a beta form correct? last i heard it was very weird. you could only use the usb otg port for subscription transfers (usb1.1), while the regular port on the bottom needed to be used for everything else. it also had to be plugged into the wall to do subscription transfers since it didn't charge over usbotg and it still wasn't working for some people.

i'd say creative zen vision:m would be a good choice.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 14
I second the Zen Vision:M. Looks like a sweet player

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 14
ohh mann.. vision:M? yea it's tite, just like 5G iPod... but the price.......

i'm a starving student, i think i'll try too keep somewhere around 200

thanks again

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 14
1-Could someone explain to me how subscription support works, or supply me with a link ?(I'm an old guy without knowledge of the younger folks stuff, but am willing to learn
basshead.gif
) I'd like some videos for plane travel.

2-I know that I can download music through the USB host port without the need for the subpack or a powered hub, so why wouldn't other downloads work?

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
1-Could someone explain to me how subscription support works, or supply me with a link ?(I'm an old guy without knowledge of the younger folks stuff, but am willing to learn
basshead.gif
) I'd like some videos for plane travel.

Subscription support is for Yahoo! Music, Rhapsody, Napster, Virgin Red Book, etc. Basically, you get to "rent" the music (unlimited) for as long as you have the service. Just pay the monthly (or yearly) fee and you can download as much as you want, legally.

To use with a DAP, it's pretty much plug and play. For example, with Yahoo!, you plug in your DAP (if it's subscription enabled), run the Yahoo! Music Engine and you should see the DAP on the right hand side of the screen. Then, find your music and drag it to the device.

Every month you have to plug it into to relicense the music. it's a great way to build up a quick collection, discover music or just overwhelm yourself. I've grabbed over 1000 albums from the service and now I don't know what to do with them!
basshead.gif

Unfortunately, there is no subscription for video service as of yet, but I'm sure that's on the way as well.

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 14
so what is it guys?

i guess i might gonna take more time to save some more mney and invest on the zen vision:m. big change leap, if i pick h10 or the gigabeat, all the difference just plain color screen and bigger capacity. zen vision:m seems perfect for the long run.

but if you have sumthin else to suggest, please do

thanks

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks astaireboy...but I have plenty of music...I need videos, like the ones that I see the younger people watching on the plane with their Ipod Video.

Thanks for the explaination.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 14
okay, this just another addition to what i've posted.

yea, zen micro's signature sound is real nice, prolly because of its SNS, it has up to 97db sns, zen Vision:M has exactly the same charateristic. but it doesn't mean i'm up to other DAP's sig sound.

one thing i've been curious about, DAP with SRS WOW feature. experienced it on WM, seems pretty cool, that's why i kinda considering H10 because of the feature.

I'm down to two now

Zen Vision:M
It's pretty much exactly Creative's version of iPod 5G. i don't hate creative, i actually prefer them over iPod. to me iPod it's like an epidemic, everybody just looks the same.

anyway, ZV:M has better quality in sound wise (97db sns) and graphic wise. and it has more packed feature than iPod 5G.

price wise is a killer, $329? reasonable price for the feats, not really for my wallet. i dunno if it actually worth it to spend that much money because i'm not even sure if i'm going to use the video feature a lot.(actually it's hard to tell now, but if i look at it for a long run, i might find a use for it)

and doesn't it looks weird, Creative should have better design on the DAP, it's looks like a mutated 5G iPod (no offense)

iRiver H10
the 20GB capacity works just fine with me. one thing like about this one is because it has the SRS WOW feats (you can always tell me if it just another boring feats i should ignore). and also price wise, it's perfect.

i've read iRiver has 90db SNS, is that a lot difference from zen micro/zen vision:m?

one more thing i'm not sure. is it true you can only transfer music from software only (including WM10)? not an issue with me if it does, but i remember how i always liked zen micro of its plug n' play feats, where you can just browse thru windows explorer.

well, i hope that might shed some light.

and man, thanks again

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 14
I'd personally recommend the Gigabeat. I've got an F10 and an F40, and they're just great players, too. They pretty much have what you listed and then some. There are 20 some odd equalizer settings including 3 SRS WOW settings and a customizable setting. It's got a gorgeous colour screen. And yeah, from other Gigabeat users, I'm pretty sure that Yahoo! Music works fine with it, too. And yeah, it's at a good price also, just a little north of $200. I bought my Gigabeat for $250 flat from Amazon. So, yeah. I actually just received it today, too.

And to clear up any confusion, you can actually drag and drop music onto the iRiver H10. As simple as copying files from your hard drive to your player on explorer. I just uploaded a quarter of my music onto my friend's H10 that way.

And yea, most may not like the Gigabeat for it's software, but you can also drag and drop files, too, on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back