"subjectivist" with "objectivist" subjective experiences
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #46 of 54
What I was trying to say was that those guys at the Skinwalker Ranch didn't look like they were conducting an investigation. They looked like they were trumping up a bunch of hooey to make entertaining television. But they didn't even succeed at that because the series never added up to anything at the end. But the blinking lights, breathless commentary and hyper emotional staff meetings made it seem like maybe it did.
Well yeah, how are you supposed to formally investigate something you have absolutely no idea how to reliably cause? In the current state of affairs, the best move is to collect a body of data to pour over later, which is lengthy and tedious work. If the skinwalker ranch saga were written and produced for an audience, it would be more dramatic and conclusive like horror movies like to be.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #47 of 54
Did you see the Netflix series? They amped it up plenty! They just didn’t find anything. But you had to read between the lines to know that. They seemed like real grifters to me, not scientists. I think the show was the purpose, not study.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #48 of 54
*shrug* it's the norm, have you watched unedited footage of investigations? It's boring as hell, most people don't have the patience to sit through hours of raw footage with nothing happening. The show runners have to spice it up with drama to not kill the audience with boredom lol.

I won't deny the possibility of grifting, a lot of that does happen with faked evidence for social media clout or whatever.

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #49 of 54
It was like those "we spend a night in a haunted house" shows with lots of video cameras, people whispering in darkness, scary background music and boxes measuring stuff that they don't even really know why they're measuring. I can't imagine anyone calling it a serious scientific study. It was a TV show.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #50 of 54
It was like those "we spend a night in a haunted house" shows with lots of video cameras, people whispering in darkness, scary background music and boxes measuring stuff that they don't even really know why they're measuring. I can't imagine anyone calling it a serious scientific study. It was a TV show.
Yeah, in the US I think Ghost Hunters has been the most popular. I sometimes caught an episode late at night, for the entertainment value. They would be at some historic places, so finding out the history was the most interesting. Then the humor about how much over-acting they'd do about "Oh, do you feel that, it's suddenly cold". Or random noises in an audio recording (EVP) that they did their own understandable "translating". My favorite was when they'd try to taunt the ghost: "If you're there, push me down the stairs!!" The most amusing episode I saw was at a Lighthouse...the Lighthouse keeper had EVPs that they were blown away with the quality. You could hear every single word. The problem: the voice sounded exactly like the Lighthouse keeper whispering.

I find it interesting that even with the most mundane biopic, there's going to be dramatization over the events of a person's life.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #51 of 54
Still, I guess the thing I wonder the most about is why exactly I went this particular way in terms of my perceptions? Sure, now, I can't even listen to a DAC or amp and help but think "this thing will make no/little difference in the sound" but when I started on the audio tip, this was also my immediate perception, and I seem to be the last guy in terms of a background to be like this lol
The simplest answer is likely the most correct: there is no discernible difference and that's what you're hearing :)

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #52 of 54
I learned from head fi I learned to ignore headfi, from subjectivists objectivists alike. from engineers to fanboys to brand cultists. i Have been told don’t buy this or that, this upgrade cable, music server, or interconnect..use each company as you see fit, better products can be better, given one’s preferences. Thank goodness I ignored these rationalizations and cognitive dissonances. But we sow the seeds we sow and enjoy the sound and music we like, that’s all that matters. I’m leaving out companies, manufacturer engineers, posters, and sound science practitioners by name. I have no answers for anyone else, ymmv and imo

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #53 of 54
It’s important to be open to learn from people who know more than we do. But that doesn’t mean blindly taking them at their word and letting them make our buying decisions for us. Instead, we should make an effort to understand the way things work- digital audio, electrical signals, acoustics, human hearing, etc.- so we can parse the biased opinions from the useful information.

Too many people in this hobby are intellectually lazy. The don’t want to take the time to understand, they just want some authority to tell them what to do, or they make up their mind based on ignorance and refuse to consider any other idea. In a nutshell, it’s people with more money than sense.

When I run across a knowledgeable person who is willing to explain why things are the way they are in a clear and straightforward way, it makes me excited about the hobby again. But those people are rare birds. Most people either just spout unsubstantiated bias, or they explain things in such a convoluted way, with so many footnotes and irrelevant sidetracks, that it’s impossible to learn from them. Add to this people who are deliberately assuming a fake persona online to stoke their own ego, and you end up with a bunch of opinions that are pretty much worthless.

You have to sift out the good stuff, and that takes effort. You can’t be intellectually lazy.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #54 of 54
I remember when Ethan Winer used to post here. His contributions were pure gold. We haven’t seen his ilk in many a moon around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back