Sub woofer placement
Feb 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

naike

Head-Fier
I'm a bit lost here, this is basically my first 5.1 system I ever set up, and the sub woofer is bugging me.
Where should I place it?
It's currently under my work desk where I spend most of my time listening to music, however the low frequencies are, well a  bit problematic.
First of all, the bass sounds very punchy, and when someone plays guitar-bass in a music track it doesn't sound very bassy at all, I hope you know what I mean.
I think this is simply because my speakers are bad, and I tried to set my crossover up to 150Hz, but it didn't help enough.
Maybe my music player is set up wrong I don't know.
I'm up mixing stereo to 5.1 using this DSP component for foobar 2000, then I'm using my sound card (Xonar ST) to play around with the equalizer and output 6 channels in dolby digital live through a coaxial cable to my AV receiver.

Anyway, the real problem is that in my room, especially near my sub woofer, I can hardly hear the bass, but when I go out of my room, or even behind 1-2 walls I can still hear the bass pretty clearly, and I'm worried my neighbors won't like it.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 5
Installing a sub woofer where you know it will disturb others isn't a nice thing to do.

If you insist then try this.

Put the sub woofer where you normally sit and turn it on. Move around the room, on your hands and knees if necessary, until you find the place where it sounds best to you. Swap positions. Job done.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Where they can hear it. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back