sub-setup options please . . .
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

khushy

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have a Marantz PM-75 as my main amp in my STEREO system with a pair of ImageAudio 5's mounted on the wall - needing a little bit more depth to the bass line I decided to buy an active sub - which arrives tomorrow.

Now the amp does not have a sub out, but it does have a co-ax digital out and an analogue out plus a second speaker set out's too.

To get the best low-end signal for the sub - what would be the best way to connect the active sub?

1 - second pair of speaker cables to the sub?
2 - a pair of analogue RCA's  to the sub?
3 - a co-ax digital out to a mini DAC mounted upon the sub and then the analogue signal from the DAC to the sub?
4 - another option???

Oh - the sub will be sitting approx 4m away from the amp!

khushy

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Nope the sub should have it's own volume control, the speaker cables only work if the sub has a high level pass thru, get a fiio d3 for the coax out and connect the sub to that, that would be the way to get the best signal.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry you are wrong, the coax out would not track the master volume on the amp so it would not work in this setup properly.

High level inputs are available on my sub, so I will be using them.

Khushy

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 6
No it wouldn't, but I think all subs have there own volume control , even using the amps volume control your find you have to adjust the subs own volume frequently to get it balanced with tne speskers volume.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Does the sub's plate amp have L/R RCA pass through jacks ?

That would work well using the analog outs from your source to the sub RCA inputs, set the xover level accordingly, take the full range signal from the plate amp L/R RCA pass through to the A5 rca inputs. Balance the output of both using a full range pink noise signal and then blend to taste. All you need is an extra set of IC's.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back