sub for audioengine a5
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pat28k

New Head-Fier
If I wanted to buy an external sub to go along with the audioengine a5's, what are some good suggestions? I've heard that the AS8 is good, but not really the best value for 400 smackaroos.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Oct 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 10
I have recently been researching different subwoofers as I am in search for one myself. I've read up on the BIC H-100 and the general consensus is that it's not as "musical" as a sub like the HSU STF-1 even though the BIC can extend lower than the HSU. I guess I'm not quite sure what that means.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 10
I used my Onix X-Sub with my A5's and got great sound. It plugs right into the A5's RCA out. AV123 doesn't make them anymore, but if you can find one used it probably won't set you back much more than $200. If you have the A5's in the satin black finish, the X-Sub is a perfect match (it sports the same finish). It has the same form-factor and general sonic characteristics as the HSU STF-1, but has the additional benefit of being self-powered.

As near as I can tell, "musical" when applied to a sub refers to the control the subwoofer has throughout the range it can effectively extend to. If it's a musical sub you can expect tight, accurate bass even if it won't quite be able to extend all the way down to the lowest levels without distortion. This probably won't be much of an issue if you're primarily using it for music, but comes into play if you're buying the sub for movies.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm hopefully going to be ordering the HSU STF-2 sub this week. I'll let you know how it goes and what I think about it.

I have one question though - what cable would you use to hook it up? HSU says a mono cable with an RCA jack on each end, but the A5's have an L and R for sub out. Do I use a cord with 2 RCA jacks on one side and only one on the other? If so, where can I purchase one? I haven't been able to find one on the internet.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently been researching different subwoofers as I am in search for one myself. I've read up on the BIC H-100 and the general consensus is that it's not as "musical" as a sub like the HSU STF-1 even though the BIC can extend lower than the HSU. I guess I'm not quite sure what that means.

It means that the BIC can generate more "punch" in listening to movies (explosions), but will sound too exaggerated (boomy, or loose) when listening to music. With music you probably want something that is accurate rather than too loud or too boomy.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I have my A5's connected to a Velodyne VX-10.

It has a cross over that does not allow anything under 80 to get to the A5's.

Really helped clean up the sound coming out of the A5's.

And I paid less than 200 bones out the door at Fry's.

Probably not the best...But for the money it really pumped up the jam for my computer setup.

Certainly puts a smile on my face when I go to set down behind it for sure.

I am looking at the HSU from Parts Express to pair with some Mackie MR5's.

I really like the Velondyne's built in cross over.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Bro. listen to DLS3750R before deciding or you will regret it. For 400 bucks its the best!

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 10
bumping...

I am looking into the Audioengine AS8 and am wondering if anyone has it? is it worth it? I found one on sale for 289 and wanna hear from someone who has listened to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back