Sub-bass oriented headphones/IEMs.
Feb 25, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I figured I'd start a thread about differentiation the two. I'm curious more in the >$200 range myself, and which headphones/IEMs you guys consider accentuate the sub bass but not the mid-bass..

Quote:

Hmm, I was hoping this thread would drum up (pun not intended) more support. I can't be the only one who likes sub bass but not mid bass ...

I love deep bass; I've even convinced myself sub bass equals depth in music and a headphone lacking this is missing out on music. I don't like mid-bass, or rather muddy mids which I think you might be referring too... something so bass heavy it spills over into the mids, like a Denon, or bass-oriented headphone more-so.

Rather than buying a new headphone have you considered recabeling or even switching op amps? I love my 780s and considering pro 900s for my next purchase... after playing around with and expanding the soundstage I am most definitely Ultrasone for life.

I forget the head-fiers name but he owns both 780 and D7000 and said while he prefers the Denons if you want the Dark Knight sound track to sound like it did in the movies, Ultrasone are for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for sub bass, the XB700s will definitely rattle your skull (If not for those super squishy ear cups). Unfortunately it doesn't fit your criteria of >$200.

And if you are only after silly lows, those Denons, Ultrasones, Beyers don't come close to those Sony's. I spent months scouring around, listening to the recommend "bassy" cans, but none fit the bill. Sure they are bassy for "normal" listening, but not BOOM BOOM till the mids and highs get washed out... LOL...

The XB700 is only bass which isn't good for much, save for D&B. The 780s hit much harder than the XB range, they just don't linger as long but that shouldn't be confused with sub bass... the proper kind. Also if you're going around auditioning cans you have to take into account the XBs will be easier to drive than Denon, Ultrasone and Beyers.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 48
Well I owned the Proline 750s before. Best I can recall they did have deep bass, but a bit too much mid bass for my liking. The 900s, judging by that frequency response that Acix posted are quite similar, although obviously frequency response curves can be misleading.

I've dealt with it so far with EQ. Very skeptical on cabling, and the problem with buying op-amps again is that it's very difficult to differentiate what people mean when they describe the kind of bass they have.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 48
Sony MDR V6, deep bass which well, works great with rock. Maybe not the best but certainly worth a reference. The V6-es have some great lower bass.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 48
The best bass I've heard is from my JH13s driven by either the Protector or Blue Circle SBH amp. It's the most extended I've heard; it's fast, textured, and punchy as well.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Well I owned the Proline 750s before. Best I can recall they did have deep bass, but a bit too much mid bass for my liking.

I've dealt with it so far with EQ. Very skeptical on cabling, and the problem with buying op-amps again is that it's very difficult to differentiate what people mean when they describe the kind of bass they have.

Well from what I've read everyone that's recabled has across the board said it really cleaned up the bass, very tight detailed. So either everyone is sharing the same delusion or it really does make a huge difference. I bought my 780s with the Mogami cable so I can't compare however I can tell you it's exactly what I'm looking for with the likes of Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation all that kind of electronica with a detailed, layered presence.

As far as op amps they are cheap enough (if not free) to just experiment yourself, I have listed mine in my sig that pair very well with my 780s, leaps and bounds over the lifeless stock zero.

Have you tried the foobar mod in my sig? It layers the music creating a larger sound presence, the extra detail has me deleting my MP3 archive.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best bass I've heard is from my JH13s driven by either the Protector or Blue Circle SBH amp. It's the most extended I've heard; it's fast, textured, and punchy as well.

thats really good to hear, makes me even more excited to get the protector. The bass out of my iPod, since i dont have an amp yet, with the jh-13's is pretty awesome, but i can tell it tapers off a bit the lower it goes, so bringing that back in line will be fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well from what I've read everyone that's recabled has across the board said it really cleaned up the bass, very tight detailed. So either everyone is sharing the same delusion or it really does make a huge difference. I bought my 780s with the Mogami cable so I can't compare however I can tell you it's exactly what I'm looking for with the likes of Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation all that kind of electronica with a detailed, layered presence.

As far as op amps they are cheap enough (if not free) to just experiment yourself, I have listed mine in my sig that pair very well with my 780s, leaps and bounds over the lifeless stock zero.

Have you tried the foobar mod in my sig? It layers the music creating a larger sound presence, the extra detail has me deleting my MP3 archive.

Eh, meaning to have tried the HFI-780s for a while. How would you rate them on detail? As much as I'm a sub bass whore, I'm a detail whore first
tongue.gif

Yeah, I've been using that foobar config for like a year, heck I fixed up a mistake in your guide when you first posted it
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Eh, meaning to have tried the HFI-780s for a while. How would you rate them on detail? As much as I'm a sub bass whore, I'm a detail whore first
tongue.gif

Yeah, I've been using that foobar config for like a year, heck I fixed up a mistake in your guide when you first posted it
bigsmile_face.gif

They are right up there with Sony SA5000 for detail and speed, the major difference been the introduction of a low end and S-logic instead of wide and open. A few members here have gone from SA5k to HFI-780 either ALO or some other recable and Dynamet mod. I had the Sony SA3000 for a while and had planned a permanent upgrade to SA5000, however after listening was disappointed with the low end and thus stumbled upon Ultrasone!

Oh yes you did, right on! ~ Try this channel mixer profile: surround-3.xml (DH1 at 100%)

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 48
  Quote:

So I figured I'd start a thread about differentiation the two. I'm curious more in the >$200 range myself, and which headphones/IEMs you guys consider accentuate the sub bass but not the mid-bass..

Quote:

Hmm, I was hoping this thread would drum up (pun not intended) more support. I can't be the only one who likes sub bass but not mid bass ...

I love deep bass; I've even convinced myself sub bass equals depth in music and a headphone lacking this is missing out on music. I don't like mid-bass, or rather muddy mids which I think you might be referring too... something so bass heavy it spills over into the mids, like a Denon, or bass-oriented headphone more-so.

Rather than buying a new headphone have you considered recabeling or even switching op amps? I love my 780s and considering pro 900s for my next purchase... after playing around with and expanding the soundstage I am most definitely Ultrasone for life.

I forget the head-fiers name but he owns both 780 and D7000 and said while he prefers the Denons if you want the Dark Knight sound track to sound like it did in the movies, Ultrasone are for you.
  Quote:

Originally Posted by syke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for sub bass, the XB700s will definitely rattle your skull (If not for those super squishy ear cups). Unfortunately it doesn't fit your criteria of >$200.

And if you are only after silly lows, those Denons, Ultrasones, Beyers don't come close to those Sony's. I spent months scouring around, listening to the recommend "bassy" cans, but none fit the bill. Sure they are bassy for "normal" listening, but not BOOM BOOM till the mids and highs get washed out... LOL...

The XB700 is only bass which isn't good for much, save for D&B. The 780s hit much harder than the XB range, they just don't linger as long but that shouldn't be confused with sub bass... the proper kind. Also if you're going around auditioning cans you have to take into account the XBs will be easier to drive than Denon, Ultrasone and Beyers.

Paul Barton spoke much about what you're saying about the 20hz-1k zone, and the importance of that region as it relates to the overall musicality. Its in one of thoe RMAF conferences. I like his views as well as Naotaka from SOny. Anyway, i can't speak of 500/700, but the ultrasone i doubt can beat an eq'd 1k in the sub bass region. And if you look in the basshead thread, and tried them all, and none fit the bill? really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back