Sub-$80 earbuds?
Jun 26, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to hook my friend up with a good pair of earbuds (he wants to be able to hear people talk while he has them in his ears, so IEMs are not an option) but he's not too keen on spending $80 for Yuin PK2's. Are there any other cheaper earbuds I could suggest to him, perhaps as low as the $40-$50 range? He'd like something durable because his cheapos always break, and something with good sound quality would obviously be great.

Any suggestions? he really likes the $40-$50 range, so if possible try to keep suggestions around that. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 11
Not going with an IEM limits the choices. Off the top of my head I'd suggest some generic models by JVC, Phillips or Panasonic(?).

Check the buyer's guide. There may be more I don't know about, since I don't really look for regular earbuds. I prefer the isolation of IEMs.

But the Yuins most commonly come up here as a recommendation for non-iem users.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 11
thank you. yeah, i'd like to encourage him to try an IEM, but they just don't serve his purposes.

I'll definitely look thoroughly through the buyer's guide. I'm trying to stay away from generic models because we could find those easily because for those you don't really consider high end audio... you just buy them for the sake of having earphones. but he wants some earbuds that have a good sound quality (balanced) and are durable, because his generic ones always break.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 11
Good luck. Report your findings here. It would be intereting to see more about high end, regular earbuds. Usually high end, non-cans are IEMs b/c users want that and are OK with the in ear design. Unfortunately earbud users are left with junk generic ones or the factory buds.

Again, the Yuins are usually what come up. I'd check several sources. I've read about great discounts on normally expensive products people have found online.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks a lot. I agree about the Yuins. I'll probably recommend those to him first and see what he thinks about them. They should be perfect for him, really... but I'm going to see if he'd consider the sennheiser cx300 and the Jays j-Jays. I don't know too much about those two so I'm going to have to do some research. I know senns are almost always great, so i'm interested to read about them.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 11
The Sennheiser or jays should wor. I don't have experience with either but they are supposed to be less invasive IEMs, which should make inserting and removing easier than a deeper IEM. Also may be good for those who do not like the idea of a deeper ear IEM or the plugged ear feeling or don't like earplugs.

This thread was up the other day:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/l...n-iems-334979/

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 11
I HIGHLY recommend the Yuin pk3's for around 50 dollars. I love mine. I use them more than my er4p's and Grado sr-60's because they are more convenient. Sound really good also.

todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back