Sub $700 Tube Amp help!
Aug 26, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ABathingApe

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi

So I'm looking for a tube tamp, obviously lol. I've kind of worked my budget to be around 700 CAD, so give or take 650 USD. I guess originally I was set on getting an SS like a Graham Slee Novo or Heed Canamp, but at this point, for that price range I'd rather pay a little more to dabble into tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
. Amps that I have been looking at lately include the Darkvoice 337, Maple Tree Ear+ HD and Woo Audio 6 w/ PDPS. I'm really unsure of where to go. I can't find specs for the 337, but something tells me that it is OTL. The majority of my phones (yes 3 for now
smily_headphones1.gif
) are low impedance, which from what I understand, transformer coupling really helps with. OTL tends to perform the best with high impedance cans.

I guess I'm planning on going more into the Grado route, once I get my HF-2's in. I'd love a pair of MS1's, 325/MS2's, and an RS-1/GS-1000 at some point. Maybe even dabble into 600 ohm beyers, akg 702's, or 300 ohm senns. But for now, I'd be mostly driving lower impedance cans. So I'd like to buy something that helps me along this path.

As for tubes, I'm not really interested in spending a bunch on NOS or anything, my ears aren't that great, and I find myself not being a critical listener once I'm happy with my setup.

I've gone through a bunch of impressions, and as always, the reviews here are far too positive to help me make a decision
smily_headphones1.gif
. If anyone has experience with these amps, and the cans that I am mentioning, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently using my PC as source, through optical to my D10, which would act as my DAC once I get a tube amp. Currently my 2 pairs of Shure's are driven just fine by my iBasso, but I really want to get at least an entry level tube amp.

So to summarize my current shortlist is:
1) Woo Audio 6 w/ PDPS
2) Darkvoice 337
3) Mapletree Ear+ HD

Again all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 14
I have been very impressed with my recently purchased WA6 w/ PDPS!

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the Woo but the Ear+HD sounds great and it's made in Canada so you don't have to pay taxes.

Well it is nice that is made in Canada, unfortunately the costs are still in USD. I've gone ahead and asked Jack @ Woo for a quote, just to get an idea of my costs. Looks like my budget could be closer to 800
frown.gif
. Especially with the cost of the EAR+ HD brand new.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 14
If I was in your shoes, I'd be going nuts trying to decide between the Woo and Mapletree. Ultimately a can't lose decision...

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was in your shoes, I'd be going nuts trying to decide between the Woo and Mapletree. Ultimately a can't lose decision...

Thanks peanuthead, I am actually in that exact situation. Spoke with Skylab and indeed the 337 is OTL, hence not a good pairing with low impedance cans. I am of course really leaning towards the Woo though, if it comes down to aesthetics.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Transformer-coupled amps are always going to be on the pricey side, because good-sounding output transformers are expensive. The only other option I know of that is pretty good but less is the (oddly named) Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT/OTL Mk III, which has a OTL and TC mode, switchable. It's pretty good sounding, and only $500 list, although you need to budget another $200 for good tubes - it uses the 6BQ5/EL84 and 12AX7, which have pretty high prices for nice vintage tubes. I owned one for quite a while, and really liked it.

I have never owned the WA6 but I did own the WA3 which I thought was very good sounding, and the WA6 is very highly regarded.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WA6!! join the club
smily_headphones1.gif

X2. Been extremely happy with mine for over a year now.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. Been extremely happy with mine for over a year now.

I'm wondering if the PDPS is worth it. All he adds, according to atbglenn's and another person's picture of an older PDPS is a couple of resistors and a couple caps to decouple the transformers. Is that REALLY going to change the sound that much? I've also kind of talked myself out of an Ear+ HD. Don't need it.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 14
I've heard many people say PDPS is an excellent upgrade, especially at the lowered price of $60 right now.

Many have said it makes a bigger difference than the Sophia... but then again, it's all just luxury addons. I'm sure if you have a stock WA6, you'll still be very happy. Mine has no PDPS but I have the Sophia... I'm very satisfied with it.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 14
ABathingApe if my memory is correct (and at my age I can not guarantee it
wink.gif
) the PDPS was the brainchild of jamato8 who then communicated his findings to Jack Woo. Thus you may wish to contact jamato8.

I too would have a hard time deciding between these two amps, since I have owned Mapletree amps before and know how great they sound w/ Grado headphones I would probably go with it. Perhaps you could host a mini meet so owners of each could bring their amps and you could compare them, $800 is IMO a lot of money to be spent w/o an idea on their sound. Cheers and good luck.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ABathingApe if my memory is correct (and at my age I can not guarantee it
wink.gif
) the PDPS was the brainchild of jamato8 who then communicated his findings to Jack Woo. Thus you may wish to contact jamato8.

I too would have a hard time deciding between these two amps, since I have owned Mapletree amps before and know how great they sound w/ Grado headphones I would probably go with it. Perhaps you could host a mini meet so owners of each could bring their amps and you could compare them, $800 is IMO a lot of money to be spent w/o an idea on their sound. Cheers and good luck.

Thanks mrarroyo, I will contact Jamato8.

As for the amps in question, I've checked the meet thread for Edmonton, seeing as we are having a large meet come mid septemeber, and tamahome77 seems to own an ear+ hd. But as for that, there isn't anyone who owns any woo products, and I don't have my headphones on hand.

I am almost willing to go out on a limb and take th WA6 based on imrpressions from here alone. It sounds like I can't really go wrong with Woo products as they are of great quality. As for buying on speculation, I've done that with my HF-2's and I guess I'm willing to take the plunge with this nice little transformer coupled amp from Jack
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back