sub $600 cd player
Feb 25, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

As far as HDCD goes, I find that well recorded regular CDs can sound just as good if not better than HDCDs with my Music Hall. Maybe I just don't listen critically enough, but HDCD isn't really that great. I have Reference Recording HDCD classical CDs, which aren't much (if at all) ahead of several of my other regular classical disks. I also have a couple rock HDCDs, Live: Secret Samadhi and Dire Straits greatest, which are definitely not much better sounding than some of my other rock CDs like Nirvana's greatest hits, Stones hybrid, and several others.

Really? I have the opposite opinion. I really like hdcd, although i have heard a few bad hdcd recordings.. But it wasnt the formats fault. At least with the c541i.. the hdcd's seem to sound quite a bit better overall in every aspect. Of course i dont have a huge cd collection. But of all the cd's i do have, the hdcd's always rank the highest in sound quality. Of course that could be just due to the fact that if the studio has considered hdcd, they have probably considered other aspects of the mastering. I dunno.. But i seem to like hdcd so far. Ive got a lot of cd buying to do though...

Feb 26, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 19
I know what you mean about bad HDCDs, the B-52's greatest hits sounds terrible, but Marc Ribot and the Cubanos Postizos is great. Theyre hit and miss. As for regular cds that sound good, Isaac Hayes greatest hits sounds so nice as well as the The Clash's Singles cd. Heres a very positive review of a modded cd-25 over at www.6moons.com. I wish Jude had time to finish his review of the Music Hall for this site.

Feb 26, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #18 of 19
I saw that ad on audiogon this am for the modded cd-25, its more than I wanted to spend but very tempting. The philips 963sa is tempting as well but I have some favorite discs that are hdcd. Dont you hate it when there are to many good choices?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back