Sub $500 Headphone Amp for T1
Dec 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stealthbr

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I have decided to buy the Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and would like some recommendations for an amplifier that will drive them well. Just for some background information, I will always maintain these headphones plugged to my computer, which has an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card. The sound card is important for me mostly for games, where I make use of the Dolby Headphone feature to gain an advantage in FPS gaming. With that said, which amplifier would you recommend I purchase for my T1's that still allows me to make use of the Dolby Headphone feature from my sound card? Also, it is important to note that I do not want to spend exorbitant amounts on a headphone amplifier. I read somewhere that the Schiit Valhalla is a great match for the T1's. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Forgot to ask this, but I believe it is also a fair question: How well will my Xonar Essence STX drive the Beyerdynamic T1's? Compared to the Shiit Valhalla, will I notice a big difference? I don't have the money right now to get a super expensive amplifier, so would driving them through the Essence STX and getting a more expensive amp later on be a better choice?

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Essence STX can process dolby processing through RCA output so no worries about that .

Also STX amp will dive your T1 without problem it will get pretty loud and sound very decently , also giving you the time to save for a better amp later .

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 9
  To my knowledge you can only use dolby headphone through the STX headphone out, and NOT the RCA, unless the previous poster knows some non-supported mehod

Yeah Using Uni Xonar and C-Media Panel
redface.gif
(also you have more dolby options etc) .

The asus panel can still be used to switch from HP to speackers .

http://maxedtech.com/

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 9
  Essence STX can process dolby processing through RCA output so no worries about that .

Also STX amp will dive your T1 without problem it will get pretty loud and sound very decently , also giving you the time to save for a better amp later .

Thanks for the reply! I have decided to purchase only the Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. When I get more cash, I will purchase an external amp to power them, so I will be using the Essence STX to drive them until then.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 9

Yeah Using Uni Xonar and C-Media Panel
redface.gif
(also you have more dolby options etc) .

The asus panel can still be used to switch from HP to speackers .

http://maxedtech.com/

Could you elaborate a bit further on this? If my setup were to look like:

ASUS Xonar Essence STX >>> External Amp >>> Beyerdynamic T1

What exactly would I need to do in order to make that setup work properly while still allowing me to make use of the Dolby Headphone feature from my sound card?

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 9
  Could you elaborate a bit further on this? If my setup were to look like:

ASUS Xonar Essence STX >>> External Amp >>> Beyerdynamic T1

What exactly would I need to do in order to make that setup work properly while still allowing me to make use of the Dolby Headphone feature from my sound card?

Use Uni Xonar drivers and install it with the C-Media panel (in the installation it give you the choice of wich panel to use by defaut) . Note that the ASUS panel is still avaliable if you install the C-Media panel (you will just have to start it manually , the asus panel is needed to switch beetwen headphone ouptout and rca) . Dolby processing work what ever output you are using with the c-media panel .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back