Sub $400 DAC Options
Aug 11, 2016 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Draxcer

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm new here, though I've browsed these forums a few times.

I'm looking to upgrade my DAC, and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Coming from a Modi2 / Magni2U, I've just upgraded my Magni2U for a Mjolnir SinglePower SquareWave

And I felt now's the time to upgrade my DAC as well. I was looking into Audio-GD's NFB-11

But I feel I would have no use of the headphone amp in it, and would only use it's line outs, so I've been searching for DAC's around its price point

Running into a few options like 

- Musical Fidelity V90
     - Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100
     - Micromega MyDAC

So just wondering if anyone is able to compare these DAC's or give other reccomendations, or if I should stick with the NFB-11

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 2
I think you will be hard pressed to improve the DAC performance improvement over the Modi2 because it is designed to sound and perform outstanding. Even going from the Bifrost 4490 to the Yggi I found the Bifrost sounded more clear and had the same extension both in treble and bass.

I think your money will be better spent of new headphones and music than a DAC. Plus, if you "upgrade" but sell your Modi2 before you get a new DAC how will you be able to test for youself any possible improvement. Buyers bias is so easy to succomb to and I know i have had it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back