Sub $370 Amp?
May 29, 2004 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jtwn

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for an amp primarily for my imp-550 portable to go with my HD 600s. I just want to be able to listen to them at a good volume without the bass just withering away like it does now.

I really am looking to have nice bass and have looked at the xp7 but i dont think my budget would stretch far enough for it.

Ive read about the Home Vibe but looks too cheap to be good (just from looking at the prices of other amps).

So it looks either between the PPA (i dont have a clue on the prices of it though...) or the porta corda.

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on what i should get?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 11
I disagree with your "analysis" that the cheap price and looks of the Headsave vibe automatically indicates that it is a bad amp. Dont make rash statements like this without backup - seriously damages your credibility.

Anyway - the vibe can be tuned for low impedance and high impedance headphones - email norm (www.headsave.com - search for his contact info there).

Other amps :-

1] PPA - not really portable
2] Porta Corda - nice
3] Emmeline XP-7
4] Emmeline SR-71
5] Headroom Total Airhead 2004
6] JMT built PIMETA Transportable/HOME amplifier (probably your best bet)

Check out www.jmtaudio.com

It costs around $150 - $180 and comes in a cool blue serpac case with LED (Transportable). It uses one 9V battery and sounded pretty close to the XP-7 when I heard it.

Dont discount the vibe just by looks and price - possibly the biggest mistake anyone can make
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 11
If portability isn't an issue, how about nice used Corda HA-1 MKII? Can be had around $300 (one just got sold at for sales forum). PPA w/ bass boast would be nice alternative, but cost varies somewhat depending on built components and options (may be around $350-$450?).

May 30, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Either really, but i definately would sacrifice portability for better sound.

Go emmeline xp7 for home rig sound + portability
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 11
There was an XP-7 in the for sale forum for 425 shipped. I don't know the seller, but I was eying it myself...

May 30, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm starting to think gpalmer must have something serious with me
rolleyes.gif
I'm joking
smily_headphones1.gif
for your intestest I'm selling one XP7 too .
Link in my signature if you are interested

May 30, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I'm starting to think gpalmer must have something serious with me
rolleyes.gif
I'm joking
smily_headphones1.gif

D'Oh! Not in the least, I just didn't see your ad.
tongue.gif
I haven't been looking for the XP-7, that one I mentioned just caught my eye. I've always wanted one, I think the sound would be first-rate, the portability thing is wonderful, Ray's customer service is incredible and they're just a neat little design. Unfortunately so far I haven't been able to convince myself that I really needed one.

I don't do a lot of traveling around and I have a Gilmore V2 that I use for the office. I think that if I didn't have the V2 though I would buy either the XP-7 or the Total Bithead. I had the Gilmore V2 long before either one was introduced and after all this time I still like it a lot. I really can't think of too many situations I would be in that the 12-13 hours of portable power I have with my Panasonic DVD-LA95 wouldn't be enough. Even when I fly coast to coast I've never had a problem with battery life. While the Panasonic is too wimpy to drive a regular set of headphones decently, it drives my Ety 4p just fine and I can make do with them. Since I really like the 4p for traveling because they're so convenient and the isolation is perfect it's pretty much a match made in heaven.

May 30, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Im looking for an amp primarily for my imp-550 portable to go with my HD 600s. I just want to be able to listen to them at a good volume without the bass just withering away like it does now.

I really am looking to have nice bass and have looked at the xp7 but i dont think my budget would stretch far enough for it.

Ive read about the Home Vibe but looks too cheap to be good (just from looking at the prices of other amps).

So it looks either between the PPA (i dont have a clue on the prices of it though...) or the porta corda.

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on what i should get?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't personally listened to the Vibe but the guy writing this thread thinks alot of it....he's compared it to his PPA...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Dont discount the vibe just by looks and price - possibly the biggest mistake anyone can make
rolleyes.gif

Might as well get used to it, not everyone's gonna believe a $60-$85 amp can sound good (many people are even lukewarm about the PPA, because of its "DIY" status).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back