Sub $300 DAC reccomendations for me
Mar 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fantasysage

Head-Fier
My current setup: X-Fi --> Line out --> Little Dot 1+ --> Grado 325si I am loving the sound, but I want to take that X-fi out of the loop and rock an external DAC. I would really like a unit that would take optical in (I do not want to use USB, there is no reason to), and does not have an inbuilt amp (again, no need). I would like it to do 24 bit and 96khz at least. So what are my options?

I know there is the little dot DAC_1, but I cannot find any reviews other than the small forum post on it.

If you absolutely positively must I can go a little high in the budget but I'd rather not at this time.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 10
That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I will look into it, thanks!

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm looking for a ~$300 DAC with digital coaxial input and analog RCA output. That Pop Pulse DAC mentioned looks promising, but I can't find too much other feedback on it. Are there any other well-regarded units available?

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi,

Try "Matrix Cube" from Coolfungadget from Ebay, I bought one unit it can up sample to 24bits and 192kbit/s. It sounds very good well worth the money, $300.
If you want to get better sound  then you have to increase your budget to like $400 from "Yulong 100 " or $800 from " Eastern Electric Minimax" both are very good sounding DAC for a price.

So a search you will find a detailed reviews of these units.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I would honestly just buy a Zero DAC/amp for around $100 and save up for a real upgrade.. all these cheap DACs use op-amps and when matched will sound practically identical to one another.

I already have a LD1+ no need for an amp.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Looking at the Valab NOS on that they sell on ebay for 320. Looks mighty nice, just not too many impressions.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I already have a LD1+ no need for an amp.

I used a Darkvoice 336i with the Zero, nothing wrong with that. I still use the Zero when I don't want to power the tube up for casual use such as movies and games. The Yulong D100 suggested above is the Zero with a fancy new body and LED screen. As I say all alternatives at this price will sound the same, you're shopping for this looks at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back