Sub $300 Bookshelf Speakers
May 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Synergy Sound

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers under $300 that will suit my old Onkyo TX-SV424. After doing some research I came across the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's which fit into my budget perfectly, but I'm just not sure if they'll work with the with the Onkyo. I know very little about speakers and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out?

The amp's specs are as follows:

6 Ohms Front 2x50 watt
8 0hms Center 1x50 watt
8 0hms Rear 2x15 watt

I want to know if the Diamond 10.2's will work with my amp, and if not, what are some good alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: After having a look at Wharfedale's website, it seems the 10.2's have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and a suitable amplifier power of 20-100 watts, does that mean I can connect the speakers to the front 2x50 watt inputs?

May 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 7
In your situation, I would check out the Cambridge S30, and offerings from Hsu and B&W. They seem to do good work in that price range.

May 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 7
[size=8pt]Another possibility that I would strongly recommend is the Tannoy Reveal 601p which is the passive version of the Tannoy Reveal 601a and the price is only $125 each in USA. [/size]

May 26, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Could someone please help me pick the best of these two, I would really appreciate some input.

B&W DM601 - http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/entry.php?sectionid=15&entryid=6

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 - http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/166/CID/172/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

May 27, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 7
All I can say without hearing them is Wharfedale has ports in the back which will affect the bass more depending on room placement and the B&W has ports on the front and can be placed against the wall. I would need to hear them to be sure since it is my ears that matter and other opinions are just that.  The [size=small]Wharfedale  sure does look nice, with curved side panels, unique woofer design and six different finshes.[/size]

P.S. I have heard the B&W big Nautitus long ago and it was very crispy and airy sounding. The B&W has a Aluminium tweeter and the [size=small]Wharfedale   has a soft dome. I suspect that the B&W might be crisper sounding and the [size=small]Wharfedale [/size] might be smoother in sound because of the soft dome which I normally perfered for myself, providing everthing else is equal. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back