Sub $250 ish Headphones
Sep 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

headphone123

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

I;m looking for some good headphones for travel and use on the computer, dont listen to that much music just want some really kick ass headphones. 

Wantes - Comfort, Good audio, and some noise cancelling and durable

Type of headphone is a over ear.

Dont want to spend more than $250 unless its 5-10 more. 

The headphones I have found so fare are the v moda lp2, audio technica ath m50, sennheiser hd 598, shure srh 840. But I am open to anything

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 10
     I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD598s and couldn't be more impressed by them. They sound like about 85% of my HD650s and they retail for half the price. The big losses I can tell are less detail, particularly in the mids (as in, cut-offs are less clear and the sound is just a little more, um, mushy) and you can tell there isn't as much bass. If I were to try to give an analogy, it would be like the difference between twelve and eighteen year old scotch or an E-Class and an S-Class. The latter is just smoother and more refined, but the former will do the same job nearly as well and costs significantly less (new, anyway).
     However, I must ask, if you do not listen to music that much, then why do you feel that it's necessary to spend $250 on a pair of headphones? You could get Sennheiser 558s or even 518s and probably be just as happy and you'd save quite a bit of money. Furthermore, you will find that people are unwilling to give you recommendations without knowing your preferences towards music or at least give an idea of what exactly you're going to use them for, because everyone has different tastes. Good luck and sorry for your wallet!

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 10
  I;m looking for some good headphones for travel and use on the computer, dont listen to that much music just want some really kick ass headphones. 
Wantes - Comfort, Good audio, and some noise cancelling and durable
Type of headphone is a over ear.
Dont want to spend more than $250 unless its 5-10 more. 
The headphones I have found so fare are the v moda lp2, audio technica ath m50, sennheiser hd 598, shure srh 840. But I am open to anything

Sennheiser HD518, HD558, HD598 are open headphones, no noise canceling.
The Audio Technica ATH-M50s are bassy headphones, but I would assume the Shure SRH840s would be better at everything else.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, honestly if I were you, unless you're really set on spending $250, I would get a pair of Sennheiser HD558s (or comparable) and be done with it. That leaves you $100 or so for more games or perhaps a set of decent IEMs (in-ear monitors) for on-the-go. Realise that the Sennheisers are open and won't have any noise-cancelling effect whatsoever. Best of luck to you!

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 10
  I listen to youtube and also play video games

You do not need expensive headphones for those purpose. If you play video games, you may want headphones with mic. Steelseries and other gaming device company make headphones with acceptable sound quality and good mic.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Dont do much listening, forget to mension I do listen to a little bit of music, manly hip hop, and also watch lots of movies, like a lot. I have headphones on all day when I'm home, would lower the price to $200 but I need noise cancelling no matter what, a little or a lot doesnt matter just need it to isolate some noise of a car of street as I do watch movies on the go.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 10
  Dont do much listening, forget to mension I do listen to a little bit of music, manly hip hop, and also watch lots of movies, like a lot. I have headphones on all day when I'm home, would lower the price to $200 but I need noise cancelling no matter what, a little or a lot doesnt matter just need it to isolate some noise of a car of street as I do watch movies on the go.

I don't think any good headphones with NC for that price range. You should consider IEMs, which will both provide excellent sound isolation and good sound quality.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't think any good headphones with NC for that price range. You should consider IEMs, which will both provide excellent sound isolation and good sound quality.

You do not need expensive headphones for those purpose. If you play video games, you may want headphones with mic. Steelseries and other gaming device company make headphones with acceptable sound quality and good mic.

Hello!

I totally with him! No need for expensive headphone for gaming but if you wanted something that do good for your needs, I would go for the UE6000.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back