Sub $250 headphones for Classical music
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

squelchy451

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have around $250 to spend on a pair of headphones to replace my HD 428.

The contestants are ATH-AD900 and Sennheiser 598 so far. 
I'm looking mostly for full-size open (or at least semi-open) headphones. I won't be carrying these around.

I'm leaning towards ATH-AD900 since a friend of a friend is trying to sell his after having it for a couple of months, but if there's something significantly better, please let me know.

Also, some questions:
1. At this price range, should I consider getting a headphone amp? How do I know if the performance of these headphones is being compromised by other components of my audio system?

2. Right now, I'm listening to flac from my computer audio through a Creative USB sound card. Should i try to improve the sound source before I spend on a pair of headphones?

Thank you

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 9
K70x's are great for classical music because of their large sound-stage. You can buy it used here on the forums and save up for an amp such as Schiit Magni for $99 or used if you find one. Mine have the bumpless (using K601's headband) headband mod.

I'd focus on getting an amp first before buying a DAC. The DAC you have is fine for now.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Hi. I have around $250 to spend on a pair of headphones to replace my HD 428.
The contestants are ATH-AD900 and Sennheiser 598 so far. 
I'm looking mostly for full-size open (or at least semi-open) headphones. I won't be carrying these around.
I'm leaning towards ATH-AD900 since a friend of a friend is trying to sell his after having it for a couple of months, but if there's something significantly better, please let me know.
Also, some questions:
1. At this price range, should I consider getting a headphone amp? How do I know if the performance of these headphones is being compromised by other components of my audio system?
2. Right now, I'm listening to FLAC from my computer audio through a Creative USB sound card. Should i try to improve the sound source before I spend on a pair of headphones?

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $200.
You could try an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26.49 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT660.

Nobody seems to mention them a lot, but they are rated quite good here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Scroll down to #42

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Are these a big improvement over something like a pair of Sennheiser HD 518s?

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Are these a big improvement over something like a pair of Sennheiser HD 518s?

Improvement over AD900 or AD900X?
For sure the AD900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back