Sub $250 AUD headphones - gaming & music.
Nov 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tomtheuber

New Head-Fier
Hey,

Just wanted some input for some new headphones.

Previously I have owned the Shure SRH440, they were a bit tight on my head (I have a pretty massive noggin) and my ears would sweat. The plastic band broke after about 2 years of use, and I would like something a bit better quality.

I am looking for headphone for home use, so open I think is best way to go. I have some descent earbuds for portability.

Games I would play with them – just Counterstrike Source & CSGO..

Music ranges quite a lot depending on mood (not in any order of preference) – Metal, rock, reggae, D&B, hip hop, rap, punk, accoustic, electronic.. I could go on but you get the idea? I do enjoy some nice bass, but not as much of a bass head as I used to be so I would say the quality of it is more important than quantity.. I also cant stand piecing highs.

I will be using primarily my PC as source, with Asrock "Purity Sound"/Realtek (no sound card)

My ideas so far:

ATH AD700 ($149), heard they lack bass – can this be fixed with simply applying an eq for my music?
Sennheiser HD598 (Can get for about $190), might clamp to tight on my big noggin. Build quality issues? - Note I would import Sennheisers from Germany, as I have friends over there.

I would have loved to have grabbed a pair of Sonys MDR-ma900 but alas, discontinued.

Open to ideas and input :)

Cheer.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Previously I have owned the Shure SRH440, they were a bit tight on my head (I have a pretty massive noggin) and my ears would sweat. The plastic band broke after about 2 years of use, and I would like something a bit better quality. I am looking for headphone for home use, so open I think is best way to go. I have some descent earbuds for portability.

Games I would play with them – just Counterstrike Source & CSGO..

Music ranges quite a lot depending on mood (not in any order of preference) – Metal, rock, reggae, D&B, hip hop, rap, punk, accoustic, electronic.. I could go on but you get the idea? I do enjoy some nice bass, but not as much of a bass head as I used to be so I would say the quality of it is more important than quantity.. I also cant stand piecing highs.

I will be using primarily my PC as source, with Asrock "Purity Sound"/Realtek (no sound card)

My ideas so far:

ATH AD700 ($149), heard they lack bass – can this be fixed with simply applying an eq for my music?
Sennheiser HD598 (Can get for about $190), might clamp to tight on my big noggin. Build quality issues? - Note I would import Sennheisers from Germany, as I have friends over there.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X can be ordered straight from Japan for just a little bit more then the $140 your paying for the AD700X (assuming the AD700 is a slight typo?)

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 4

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X can be ordered straight from Japan for just a little bit more then the $140 your paying for the AD700X (assuming the AD700 is a slight typo?)

Hmm maybe I can grab them while I am in Japan in Jaunary/Febuary, the AD900x is looking like a better option. Where did you find them for a bit more than $140?

I was going to get the ad700, not the x is it worth the extra $30 for the x?

Do you know what is Audio Technica like with international warranty?

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 4
  Hmm maybe I can grab them while I am in Japan in Jaunary/Febuary, the AD900x is looking like a better option. Where did you find them for a bit more than $140?
I was going to get the ad700, not the x is it worth the extra $30 for the x?
Do you know what is Audio Technica like with international warranty?

The AD900X use to go for $150, on eBay, but looks like the price has gone up lately.
I'm guessing Audio Technica stopped making the AD700 a few year ago, guess there are few still new in the box?
AD700 verses AD700X? not sure if the extra $30 is worth it.
Headphone warranty will usually only be valid in the country it's bought from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back