Sub $200 portable amp recomendations for CIEMs - Warning - Newbie
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bwaterme

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

First time post at Head-Fi, but I have been doing a ton of reading on the forums.  My research here lead me to my final decision on my recently aquired JH13s.  I received them a week ago, and am loving every bit of them.  Definitely an upgrade from my good old friends, Etymotics. 

I've been researching portable amps, and am blown away by the number of options.  I know what I am going to ask is always "a matter of opinion," but I will be as specific as possible to see if there is any overwhelming favor towards a certain amp.

My source is an iPod Classic 5th Generation.  My phones are as stated brand new JH13s (yes with Freqphase).  I listen to classic rock, 80s pop and rock, 90s rock and alternative, and current pop and rock. In other words, much of the same stuff many Generation Xers listen to.  Favorites musicians/bands include Dave Matthews, Better Than Ezra, Eric Clapton, Gavin Degraw, Mumford and Sons, REM, Beatles, Cowboy Mouth....I think you get the idea.  My source files are all 320 mp3s.

What I want from a portable amp is pretty basic.  Under $200.  Form factor similar to iPod Classic (can be slightly thicker or thinner and can be slightly longer or shorter). From a sound perspective the main thing I am looking for is a slightly punchier and fuller bass but don't want to add any distortion.  I'm not well versed in all the audiophile terminology so excuse my description of what I am looking for.  I am not a bass head, so am not looking for an overpowering thump or rumble. Really just a slight enhancement to what I have right now.  I'm happy with the performance of the JH13s in their accuracy and clarity across the frequency range.  The detail is wonderful even with my current set-up. 

I've read a lot of reviews on this site and Headfonia.  I was looking at options like the C421 (soon to be replaced with the C5), Fiio E11, upcoming Fiio E12, or iBasso Zero. 

I know there are others so am open to suggestions.  And if there is nothiing out there that fits the bill of what I am looking for, that is okay too.  Good chance I will wait for the relsease of the C5 and the E12 before any final decisions are made, unless there is an overwhelming recommendation for something on the market today that will easily suit my needs. 

Thanks again for your attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back