Sub $200 headphone amp/Dac - SMSL, XDuoo, Racoon ?? Whats recommended?
Aug 3, 2016 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hal55

Head-Fier
Looking to simplify my setup with an integrated headphone amp/dac. Since I may, in the not distant future, be using headphones exclusively a Line in to connect my turntable would be a big bonus. Since at the moment I still have use of my home stereo, and considering that my existing Lite dac 60 is some thirteen years old, a line out would also be very handy. Chinese sourced components seem the only ones that fit in my restricted budget with models from the above seeming to be recommended and available on Ebay and Massdrop. Just asking for opinions, good or bad, on the brands listed to help whittle down the list.

Thank,

Hal55

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm not up to date with the latest Schitt Magni/Modi setups but take a look at the affordable Schitt Audio line. You will find many threads on their products here with great response. Their website linked below.

http://schiit.com/

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Line in and line out in a $200 DAC/headphone amp? That's tough.

Perhaps separates? Then you could run the DAC to your receiver, and then use the receiver as the preamp to handle the extra inputs.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, the little schitt USB dongle device looks great value for money, just as long as it could drive full size cans (AT AD 900s). Not quite the flexibility I was after, but can't argue with the value of it.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks, the little schitt USB dongle device looks great value for money, just as long as it could drive full size cans (AT AD 900s). Not quite the flexibility I was after, but can't argue with the value of it.

Oh yeah it can driver full size cans. It can even drive most planars. Don't worry about the output power of Magni with AD900s. Unless you have HE500 or another planar that requires huge power, Magni will drive it.

I personally would stay away from SMSL(just had few issues with their products). O2/ODAC combos work too(they have so many variations/customization). You should be able to find a desktop version of this DAC/Amp with both line in and out for slightly over $200. Few companies make them, so look around. Mayflower and JDL labs made many variants from what I recall. I had an O2 made by Mayflower with bunch of custom options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back