Sub $200 closed backs headphones.
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

raymanh

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones to get a friend because they're alway using my M40X.

Budget is sub $200. The last time I researched this the M40X and K371 seemed to be people's top choice in this price category. Is this still the case?

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 23
I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones to get a friend because they're alway using my M40X.

Budget is sub $200. The last time I researched this the M40X and K371 seemed to be people's top choice in this price category. Is this still the case?

Thanks.
The K371 is much better than the M40x unless you crave V-shaped sound with extra bass, limited mids, grainy highs and some of the most uncomfortable ear pads on the market.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 23
I would say K371 or K361. They are close to the same but the 361's are cheaper. Some say they like the sound of the 361's a bit better.

I will tell you this, if he is used to headphones that are not acccurate and have boosted bass he might think the 371's sound a little weird at first.

Honestly there are a lot of decent headphones in this price range, just depends on the sound you like. I would suggest taking your friend to a best buy or guitar center, or both and letting him try some different ones to see what he/she likes best. And if they game the hyperx cloud II's are actually pretty decent for the price. You can pull the mic off them and just use them as headphones. Both usb and 3.5mm. They run like 90-100 bucks and you can get them at best buy, walmart ect most of the time. They have great noise isolation as well. Its almost like wearing a flight headset or ear protectors lol.

And if you wanted to spend more you could look at NC headphones. I really like my Bose quiet comforts. The noise canceling is awesome and they work with literally everything because you can run them wired or bluetooth.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 23
I would say K371 or K361. They are close to the same but the 361's are cheaper. Some say they like the sound of the 361's a bit better.

I will tell you this, if he is used to headphones that are not acccurate and have boosted bass he might think the 371's sound a little weird at first.

Honestly there are a lot of decent headphones in this price range, just depends on the sound you like. I would suggest taking your friend to a best buy or guitar center, or both and letting him try some different ones to see what he/she likes best. And if they game the hyperx cloud II's are actually pretty decent for the price. You can pull the mic off them and just use them as headphones. Both usb and 3.5mm. They run like 90-100 bucks and you can get them at best buy, walmart ect most of the time. They have great noise isolation as well. Its almost like wearing a flight headset or ear protectors lol.

And if you wanted to spend more you could look at NC headphones. I really like my Bose quiet comforts. The noise canceling is awesome and they work with literally everything because you can run them wired or bluetooth.

Thanks. Well my friend likes the sound signature of the M40X. I understand they are 'fairly' flat (slight V?). Are the K361/371's similar?

Yes I was also looking at the WH-1000 XM3 and Bose QC35 but they don't seem to be that highly recommend within audiophile circles, so I assumed M40X's or K371's were better?

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks. Well my friend likes the sound signature of the M40X. I understand they are 'fairly' flat (slight V?). Are the K361/371's similar?

Yes I was also looking at the WH-1000 XM3 and Bose QC35 but they don't seem to be that highly recommend within audiophile circles, so I assumed M40X's or K371's were better?
The M40x are "flat" compared to the very V-shaped M50x, but they're not what I would call "neutral." Still boosted bass and hot highs, with scooped-out mids. Just not as bad as the M50x.

I wouldn't recommend either the M40x or M50x as an audiophile can. I've owned both. Both are a step up from "consumer audio" sound signatures in Beats or Sony wireless models, but neither is that special. Plus the M40x and M50x are easily the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. Yeah, they're built like tanks, but what good is that when your ears feel like they're being assaulted by a blow torch after 30 minutes?

You can do a LOT better for roughly the same price, including the previously mentioned K361 or K371, HiFiMan HE-400se (open-back planar, needs an amp) or try to find a sale for $150 on the Sennheiser HD-560s. All four of those models are far better than either Audio-Technica model being discussed here.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 23
If you can push budget a little and they're willing to buy used, the Sundara might be an option. Most will agree they need an amp though.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Why not just give your friend the M40x since they like them so much and spend the $200 on something YOU would like more?

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 23
Personally I like my QC35 II's, they serve a purpose and to me sound really good. Are they as flat as my K371's? Nope, but sometimes that isn't what I want.

I have seen audiophiles suggest them, it is one of the reasons I checked them out. That being said take what gets said in "audiophile circles" with a grain so salt. It can be a bit snobish at times. Is your friend an audiophile? Will they care? Do they listen to well recorded music with lossless files on a dedicated headphone amp and dac? Just because someone says a headphone is great doesn't mean you or someone else will like it. Sound is subjective. Personally I don't care for using my K371's for pure music listening. To my ears they are a bit lifeless and don't have a very open headstage. I got them as monitors for listening to my voice when using a microphone and for editing/mixing. And that are great at that task. I also don't care for the cord and plug either. I am little so the mini xlr plug rubs on my shoulder and you can hear it. I forget what the term for it is but you can hear everything when the cord touches or rubs against something. It can get annoying at times.

I will give another thumbs up for the sundara's but they are a bit harder to drive and are open backs so forget about noise isolation. Decent headstage to them though and they sound great. Not going to get them new for 200 bucks though, maybe used. They are my go to headphones for long music listening sessions. Different cans for different things. If I want something with lots of detail that is accurate and easy to drive I grab my K371's. If I need to cut the rest of the world out or need something that will run off virtually anything I grab the Bose. I wear them when I mow the lawn even. That is how good they cancel noise. I kind of like them for movies at night too. But if I just want to relax and get lost in the music its my sundara's with my Asgard 3 amp. I even hooked up a couple bass shakers to my chair for them. Once you get them crossed over right and level matched it is pretty awesome.

I still say let your friend listen to some different headphones and see what THEY like before you go spending money. For all you know they might like beats? I don't, but they sure sell well. And if at the end they like yours the best then just give them to them and buy yourself something better. Win win.

I wouldn't count out IEM's either, some people love them.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 23
AKG K361/K371/K553, Beyerdynamic DT770/DT150, Sennheiser 569, just to name a few. The Sivga 21 just started gaining some popularity and people are saying it's very fun, as well.

A surprising amount of good options, really.

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 23
Why not just give your friend the M40x since they like them so much and spend the $200 on something YOU would like more?

Yeah I just thought about that too last night. I'll do that instead.

If you can push budget a little and they're willing to buy used, the Sundara might be an option. Most will agree they need an amp though.

I've heard good things about them. But for me closed back is a must. I won't be listening to them in a quiet environment, and I might take them to a library so I really need closed backs.

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 23
I've heard good things about them. But for me closed back is a must. I won't be listening to them in a quiet environment, and I might take them to a library so I really need closed backs.
Apologies, started reading replies and forgot the closed back requirement.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Yeah I just thought about that too last night. I'll do that instead.

Alright! Now we’re talking. Tbh making recommendations for people whose music and listening preferences I don’t know is kinda pointless. :smile:

The competition in the sub-$200 range is a bit weird. I feel like most of the well-reviewed cans are really in the $100-150 range which would leave you room to get an IEM. And if I'm being completely honest, IEMs are the better value in the sub-$200 price range anyways. Even some really decent options for around $50. Just something else to consider if you're not dead set on only closed backs.

Though I'll always rec the Meze 99 Noir if you want a bassy and fun closed back for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back