Sub $200 closed back cans with MAX comfort needed!
May 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jam3s121

100+ Head-Fier
For years I have gamed and listened to music mainly on my ath ad700s. These are great cans but I can't use open back cans anymore, I'm sick of no isolation. Hearing my roommates salt water fish tank with cans and music on is just being old.

I have vmoda m100s but these are portable cans and even with the xl pads I can't wear these for more than a hour. I'm looking for cans that will be comfortable for hours. I am a glasses wearer so high clamping force would not be welcomed.

My favorite types of music are all varietys of dance. Mainly melodic dubstep, liquid drum&bass, chillout.

Cans I've considered are M50s, or DT770s. I have a titanium hd soundcard. But have considered dedicated amp/dac if needed.

May 19, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

In this context, the DT 770 is viewed by most who have tried it as a very comfortable can--but you have to be OK with very recessed mids.  I don't know your sound card, but the 770 worth getting is 250 Ohms and needs an amp to be at its best.

The M50 is probably middle of the pack in terms of the comfort poll.

May 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 9
DT 770's are very comfortable but need an amp to truly shine. 

I find my Sennheiser HD380's are quite comfortable as well, as the oval earcups go all around my ears. Pleather/leather gets a little warm and sticky. And the coiled cable is not ideal for my desktop setup, but they are great on the go.

May 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 9
so my titanium hd can't drive 250 ohm dt 770s? I'm researching into the PRO 380's and they look nice, and I don't sit far from my rig.. might consider these. I am really looking for comfort here and a warm or neutral sound. When I rreally want to listen to music I break out the vmodas anyway.

May 20, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 9
  so my titanium hd can't drive 250 ohm dt 770s? I'm researching into the PRO 380's and they look nice, and I don't sit far from my rig.. might consider these. I am really looking for comfort here and a warm or neutral sound. When I rreally want to listen to music I break out the vmodas anyway.

Oh I didn't know you had the Titanium HD. Yeah I think that might drive DT 770's. I don't have a personal experience with it, but from what I've read it has a not too shabby headphone amp.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in about that.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 9
I ended up buying the HD 380 Pro's very comfortable so far in the first 3 hours of listening. Hate the cable but I bought a 6ft 3.5mm extension at monoprice. My desk has holes for routing cables and I don't have a desk amp/dac, use my titanium HD sound so its a pain to reach. Love the accurate everything sounds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back