Sub-150$ Amp for K501s?
Jul 26, 2006 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yorkie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, i'm looking for a decent amp to match up with some K501s for classical music.

Only problem is that i'd prefer to pay with a credit card, because I don't want to use it to sign up for a PayPal account. I can if I ABSOLUTELY have to but it'd be an inconvenience, because the family offered to foot me the bill.

I checked the the portable list at the top of the forum but none of the links in my price range work.

Source will be an iPod with 320kbps rips.

Thankee
580smile.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't have quite the answer you were looking for, but since you've gone a couple hours without any other replies, I figure it's better than nothing.

If I were shopping for a good K501 amp for $150, I'd do my very best to raise the extra $20 to buy appar111's Corda HA-1 MKII currently offered for $170. I base this on how good my K501 sounds with my HeadFIVE, and on Jan Meier's statement that "The HEADFIVE is a sonically improved version of the (discontinued) HA-1 MkII."

My second choice would be a Pimeta with OPA627 opamps. Presumably used, though perhaps you could find someone to build you one. Typically that would be a wall-powered unit, but you might find a transportable version that runs on dual 9V's.

(I specifically say OPA627 because I feel the more common 8620/8610 Pimeta sounds a little bright and a little light with a K501. Your mileage, however, may vary.)

People say good things about a number of the lower-cost portable amps, but I haven't heard them, and haven't tried them with a K501.

In any case, I think you will have a good deal more flexibility in your purchasing options if you allow for other payment options besides credit card, since credit cards will largely limit you to commercial sellers and many of the best deals are used.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I don't have quite the answer you were looking for, but since you've gone a couple hours without any other replies, I figure it's better than nothing.

If I were shopping for a good K501 amp for $150, I'd do my very best to raise the extra $20 to buy appar111's Corda HA-1 MKII currently offered for $170. I base this on how good my K501 sounds with my HeadFIVE, and on Jan Meier's statement that "The HEADFIVE is a sonically improved version of the (discontinued) HA-1 MkII."

My second choice would be a Pimeta with OPA627 opamps. Presumably used, though perhaps you could find someone to build you one. Typically that would be a wall-powered unit, but you might find a transportable version that runs on dual 9V's.

(I specifically say OPA627 because I feel the more common 8620/8610 Pimeta sounds a little bright and a little light with a K501. Your mileage, however, may vary.)

People say good things about a number of the lower-cost portable amps, but I haven't heard them, and haven't tried them with a K501.

In any case, I think you will have a good deal more flexibility in your purchasing options if you allow for other payment options besides credit card, since credit cards will largely limit you to commercial sellers and many of the best deals are used.

I agree with everything in this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back