Sub $125 CD Player
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure I should be able to find this with a forum search, but for the life of me it seems to be a topic that is pretty light on info. I now have a fairly good system with HD 580s, SR225s, and a recently ordered Gilmore Lite. Now, I feel that this system is being bottlenecked to some degree by using it out of an ipod, or powerbook. I have an oldish 5 CD changer Kenwood player at home that I will grab if this is my best option, but I'm wondering if there are any CDPs out there that will do my current system some justice. The price limit up there is pretty rigid because I just don't have much cash right now. I'm more than willing to buy used. Thanks for any help here.

Target

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 9
Mar 7, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 9
You could look for a vintage Rotel RCD-855, RCD-955AX or Denon DCD-1500 or DCD-1560 on eBay or Audiogon... not a bad option if you need to go to the sub-$150 category. These players have older DACs, but good power supply sections, good transports and decent analog stages.

You could also consider one of the cheap Toshiba DVD players (SD-3960, 3980, etc). which will sound decent out of the box and are amenable to future modding to truly bring out their potential. I like my SD-3980 stock, although you can tell transparency is hurt badly by the poor power supplies in these players (which are one of the first targets for modders).

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 9
That cambridge audio d500se looks really intrigueing. If I can get it, and fix it cheap, is it a good deal for $100? Info on those seems to be very sparce. I have thought about getting a dac for my computer, but I would rather go the CDP route for now. If I choose to get a DAC in the future, it should work for both this CD player, and for my computer. Plus, the sound coming out of my laptop is pretty noisy, and I don't think I'd get as good quality sound from my $100 in a DAC over a CDP. Thanks a ton for the help thus far, this decision i tough. I can't wait for the day when I have 3k to plunk down.

Mark

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 9
If I go the DAC route, will it effectively turn my current Kenwood into a relatively decent CDP? I figure a $125 DAC could also be paired with my computer from time to time, so this might be a good route.

Target

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 9
How is the Sony DVP-S7000? Its listed most places as a transport. Does this mean that it has no internal DAC, and won't sound good without an external? Further, can anyone comment on its video quality vs a new DVD player with progressive scan etc. I'm really intrigued, because it can be had pretty cheap, and was certainly a top of the line player years ago.

Target

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You could look for a vintage Rotel RCD-855, RCD-955AX or Denon DCD-1500 or DCD-1560 on eBay or Audiogon... not a bad option if you need to go to the sub-$150 category. These players have older DACs, but good power supply sections, good transports and decent analog stages.

You could also consider one of the cheap Toshiba DVD players (SD-3960, 3980, etc). which will sound decent out of the box and are amenable to future modding to truly bring out their potential. I like my SD-3980 stock, although you can tell transparency is hurt badly by the poor power supplies in these players (which are one of the first targets for modders).

Man I got the Toshiba SD-3980 for 30 bux on black friday, and it just crapped out...such sadness...I also need to look for a cheap replacement.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by els0rz
Man I got the Toshiba SD-3980 for 30 bux on black friday, and it just crapped out...such sadness...I also need to look for a cheap replacement.

You might want to open it up... could be a problem that's easy to fix, like one of the ribbon cables coming loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back